2. Mo Xiu, Mo Jingtang Reunites With Niangniang (imperial concubine mother)

On the day that followed, Xue Zhengyong summoned the Elders of Sisheng Peak to introduce "Su Jingtang."

The Elders stood patiently as they awaited the child's decision.

Although of course, they worked to promote themselves and offer him something that might be of interest so he'll choose them, but eventually he did approach Chu Wanning like he was in a trance.

"Elder, will you please take me in?"

Chu Wanning's eyes which were previously closed snapped open to glare at him. Jingtang was of course startled, but it was the first time in his conscious life that he'd seen his mother with such lively yet aggressive eyes so he stared in awe instead. Looking at them now, Jingtang finally understood that they weren't exactly dull brown like he remembered, they were copper.

But Chu Wanning was displeased as if he remembered something unpleasant. Truth be told when he arrived, he was already looking glum as if somebody had effectively soured his morning. Jingtang only thought it was because he was troubled to come here, but maybe his mother was truly this cranky.

Then I heard Xue Zhengyong chuckle as some of the Elders muttered, "What is this, some kind of repeat?"

"I have enough disciples, you won't like me." Chu Wanning said, "Go choose another."

But Jingtang didn't move. "Elder, please take me in."

This troubled expression of his worsened when Jingtang remained doe-eyed and bright-faced before him.

"Why..." He wanted to say "Why does this happen to me?" But in the end, he couldn't help but hold his tongue.

Somebody help him, this kid really reminds him of Mo Ran.

He initially didn't think much of it and it was the first time Chu Wanning truly looked at him, it was only then that he realized the boy's eyes glinted purple.

"Elder?"

His hand had been grabbed, however, it was a fleeting moment before the child cautiously and wisely let go.

Chu Wanning's brow was raised, but he didn't say anything about the matter.

"Do whatever you want." He stiffly turned away and left as Jingtang followed after him like a young cub trailing behind his mother.

"Well, he gave in quicker than last time." Xue Zhengyong laughed again, "Poor Ran'er..."

"Has Elder Yuheng already accepted the young master?"

"I think so?"

"Poor young master. It's only two months later, there's already a new disciple and his Shizun took that child in quicker than him."

In truth, Chu Wanning had the mind to reject and ignore the child as he did with Mo Ran, but he had a sudden moment of clarity and instinctively knew the kid was just going to be as bad or clingy as his recently accepted disciple, if not worse.

From then on Jingtang would follow him around for two weeks, other than being forbidden to enter the Red Lotus Pavilion, he would tail the Yuheng Elder until the man told him to go away. In those two weeks, Chu Wanning and "Su" Jingtang discovered how similar they were, both liking sweets, osmanthus cake, tinkering and being alone.

After those two weeks, Chu Wanning seemed to have decided that it was time to officially introduce his new disciple to his shixiongs.

"He's our new shidi?" Xue Meng glanced at his silent cousin and cleared his throat. "Nice to meet you, I'm Xue Meng. I'm the son of the leader."