3. Mo Xiu, Mo Jingtang Cries

At the time when Mo Xiu was born, he didn't cry and it made the imperial physicians fear for their lives, the possibility that the first prince couldn't survive the birth would complicate their own survival. Fortunately for them, it was merely a trait that the little prince was born with, he just didn't cry easily, so they were let off.

Taxian-jun sat on his throne before his officials, proudly carrying his newborn in one arm. The baby prince was swaddled in expensive gold fabrics that were soft to the touch, asleep and snuggling quietly into his father.

"Your Majesty, His Imperial Highness is one of a kind. He didn't cry at birth."

"Of course, he's one of a kind, he is this venerable one's son after all!" Taxian-jun laughed, hugging his son in his arms.

While the other officials fought to complement the newborn prince and his similarities to the Emperor, Liu-gong stood beside him quietly as His Majesty waved them off, unimpressed.

Finally, Liu-gong spoke. "His Imperial Highness, the Prince, looks like Concubine Chu while resting."

"Indeed, he does!" Taxian-jun beamed, catching the officials off guard.

"Concubine Chu offered a name, Your Majesty." Liu-gong bowed again.

"What is it?"

Liu-gong presented a piece of paper with a single character written on it, "Xiu."

At this Taxian-jun chuckled, giving the officials chills down their spines. "Xiu…? It really has something to do with him in the end."

Xiu <宿> can also mean night.

"Very well! Meet your Crown Prince, Mo Xiu."

"But Your Majesty, the Prince isn't the Empress' son…"

"And? Does she need to be the mother of the Crown Prince, who says so? Are you the Emperor?"

The official quickly shut himself up.

"He is your Crown Prince, anyone who disagrees shall step forward and meet my blade."

When finally no one spoke or moved, Taxian-jun smiled again. "I give him the courtesy name Jingtang."

"You have chosen well, Your Majesty." Chorused throughout the room.

"He is my only son, your only Crown Prince. If anyone dares try to assassinate him, they won't be able to move another muscle after only thinking of it."

"Long live the Crown Prince!"

———

Already, almost a year passed, and soon enough Jingtang became well acquainted with his new home and the people around him.

Madam Wang often spoiled him silly while her husband teased him and joked with him. Xue Meng considered Jingtang his younger brother, which was weird since Jingtang was previously his nephew. Shi Mei took care of him like a shixiong should, doing his best to help him with theoretical cultivation and caring for him at meals. Mo Ran, however, was just as weird as Xue Meng, Mo Ran was convinced that they got along without a hitch from the start.

Mo Ran was the one who always sought him out, chatting and playing with him as if they were actually brothers. Which, again, was something uncanny for Jingtang, so it took him a while to get used to it.

Meanwhile, Chu Wanning was how Jingtang expected him to be from the stories told to him by Xue Meng in the past and the rumours he'd heard recently. Chu Wanning was strict, aloof and distant, but an excellent teacher (Jingtang is not biased.)