10. Mo Xiu, Mo Jingtang Can't Remember

"Your Highness, please don't run..."

Six-year-old Mo Jingtang huffed and dashed, disobeying his nanny and evading her like a skillful raccoon.

"Liu-gong, Liu-gong!"

"Your Highness, please don't yell." Mei Liang wanted to cry.

Jingtang and his little feet ran around some more until he came skidding to a stop in front of a towering individual, the man was dressed in dark robes, fur covering his neck and a mianguan (a tall crown with several stringed beads dangling from it) on the top of his head. The man's eyes glared purple and his frown deepened.

"Taizi?"

Jingtang gasped, covering his mouth with both of his little hands. "Huangfu!"

Out of nowhere, Taxian-jun's unmoving expression softened into a smile. "Are you looking for me?"

Taxian-jun crouched, hugging Jingtang into his arms before straightening up. He glanced at the troubled and nervous Mei Liang standing by.

"That's alright, you're dismissed."

"Yes, Your Majesty." She bowed.

"Did Taizi miss me?"

"Jingtang was looking for Liu-gong." Jingtang admitted shyly.

Taxian-jun adjusted Jingtang in his hold, all while looking the old man beside him up and down.

"Why would you look for him?"

"Nothing!" Jingtang smiled, trying to suppress a giggle.

Taxian-jun's smile returned.

"Look for me next time."

"Okay." Jingtang's short, chubby arms spread only to close around his father's neck, hugging him like a baby panda.

Taxian-jun hummed in contentment as he leaned his head on his son's small body, the bead clicked around Jingtang as the crown tilted. "This venerable one is in a good mood, do you want to visit your mother again?"

The prince's eyes lit up, "Really?"

"Liu-gong, dismiss those lousy officials. The Crown Prince wants to go to his Imperial Concubine Mother."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Taxian-jun turned to Jingtang with a smile. "Let us go."

Jingtang returned it with a giddy grin.

Unfortunately on their way, they met a wandering Empress Song. "Your Majesty... Your Imperial Highness. Are the two majesties going somewhere?"

Before the Taxian-jun could speak, Jingtang burst out in his excitement. "Jingtang is visiting Niangniang."

"Me? Oh how fortunate we met before I troubled you to walk all the way to my quarters." Song Qiutong preened. (Niangniang could mean several things: mother, imperial concubine, empress, empress mother)

At this, Jingtang frowned in confusion while Taxian-jun couldn't help but laugh at her, "Empress since when did the Crown Prince address you as mother?"

"Ah..." She stuttered, ever since Jingtang was talking and walking, she was more often being put in her place. "Please forgive this one for her impertinence."

"You're excused, but please remember. Who are you?"

"His Majesty's lowly Empress."

"That's right, now will all of you move for this venerable one's imperial son? He's been waiting to meet Chu-fei and you're all taking way too much of our time."