Chapter 2

|| Chapter 2 ||

Heather woke up the next dawn to dawn light shining into the abandoned hotel room. What time is it? She wondered as she sat up, Ranger lay beside her feet.

She rubbed her eyes and blinked away sleep as she looked around. She grabbed her phone and checked what time it was. 8:30 AM. Heather blinked at the time and rolled over.

She was about to go back to sleep when she remembered she was supposed to meet Amy at the Shack at nine. I guess I should get up then, She thought.

Heather climbed out of bed and slipped on her shoes, she quietly refilled Ranger's food and water bowls and then slipped out of the room. She checked the time again. Shoot! I'm gonna be late!

She walked down the hallway and slipped out of the hotel. She kept to the shadows until she had left the alleyway and then ran the rest of the way back to the abandoned shack.

She checked the time once she got there. 9:02 AM. She wasn't too late. She pushed open the door and slipped into the shack. "Amy?" She called out, walking into the kitchen.

"There you are!" Amy gasped, sliding off the kitchen counter. "Where were you?" She asked.

Heather opened the fridge and grabbed out a water bottle. "I fell asleep at the hotel," She told her friend.

"Did you find out anything about the creature in the Forbidden Forest?" Heather asked, opening her water and drinking it.

"I didn't get a chance to look," Amy told her.

"That's okay, we can go over to the library today. We need to find out all we can about the Forbidden Forest," Heather said, chugging her water and tossing it into the trash.

The two girls headed out the door and down the road towards the library. Heather's phone dinged and she pulled it out, she had a text.

Hey Heather, It's Charlotte. Amy gave me your number. We need to talk.

Heather stared at the text for a moment before texting her back. Okay, me and Amy will be at the library if you want to come.

A moment later her phone dinged again.

Okay.

Heather put her phone away and her and Amy went in the library. "Let's split up, we're looking for anything we can find about the Forbidden Forest," she told Amy.

Amy nodded and the two girls split up, Heather headed towards the back and started looking. She read the names of each book as she looked. No, no, not this, nope, maybe...

She pulled out one of the books and read the name. The History of the Forbidden Forest.

She held onto the book as she continued looking for more books. She ended up with two more books, one about mysterious sightings and another about secrets of the forest. They might have something useful in them.

She found Amy and the two girls went to a table near the back and laid down all the books. "Let's see if there's anything in these about the Forbidden Forest, or anything about the creature," Heather said, grabbing one book and sitting down.

"Hey," a voice greeted them and she looked up to see Charlotte standing at the edge of the table. "We need to talk." Heather set the book down as Charlotte sat across from her.

"I want to help y'all. Ava was my best friend, I want to find out what killed her," Charlotte told her and Amy.

Heather and Amy exchanged a glance and then nodded. "Okay," Heather said.

"Here, read this book and tell us if it has anything about the Forbidden Forest in it," Amy said, shoving a book to her. Charlotte grabbed it and opened it up.

• • •

It felt like hours had passed. Heather was just about to give up when she found something. "Guys, guys! I found something," she told them, reading the page out loud.

"There has been talk of a mysterious creature living in the Forbidden Forest. It is said to be heavily muscled, have pitch black fur and glowing red eyes. And it had razor sharp claws and teeth that can snap a bone in just one swift bite."

"It can walk on both four legs and two legs and is extremely dangerous. It's said to attack anything it finds out alone in the forest at night. It doesn't strike in the daytime, only at night. It sticks to the shadows and only strikes when it's prey is alone," Heather finished reading it.

"Is there anything else in there about it?" Amy asked, leaning towards Heather. Heather shook her head. "Teeth that can snap a bone?" Charlotte echoed. Heather nodded. This creature sounded dangerous.

Heather suddenly wasn't sure if it existed or not. She looked down at the book. It can walk on both four legs and two legs. Heather shuddered as she tried to imagine the creature.

Suddenly, a thought struck Heather. "It sounds like whoever wrote this has seen the creature," she murmured, half to herself.

"Someone's seen the creature and survived it."

Charlotte and Amy looked at each other. "Then it's possible to survive the creature," Amy gasped. But how? Heather wondered.

Charlotte slid the book over to herself and scanned the page.

"I know the girl that wrote this," Charlotte gasped, looking up at Amy and Heather. "She's my neighbor!" The girls all looked at each other.

Charlotte's neighbor had seen the creature, and survived it! She might could tell them more about it.

• • •

The black stallion stood, staring out at the forest. He pawed the stream he stood in front of. Water sprayed up against his leg as he stared at the forest.

He hated the memories of that day. The day he got spooked and ran off into the forest. His human had come to get him, but had been attacked by the creature that lurked in the shadows.

The same creature that had ripped off some of the horse's skin. The stallion twisted his head to look at the bare skin on his back, there had been deep gashes there.

The stallion turned his head back to stare out into the forest. He hated the creature for killing his human. But he hated himself more for leading it to her.

If he hadn't run off then she might still be alive. If she hadn't gone to look for him then the creature wouldn't have gotten her. But it would probably've gotten him instead.

He lowered his head to get a drink from the stream. When he lifted his head again he saw the creature's red eyes glowing in the shadows, staring at him. He knew the creature didn't cross the stream, but fear mixed with his anger at seeing the creature.

He pawed the ground and reared up as the creature turned and slipped off into the forest. The stallion let out a snort and turned and raced off into the forest on his side of the stream. That creature would pay someday.

• • •

I hope your liking it so far! I'll try to get the rest of the chapters out today or tomorrow :)
~Snowy