Chapter 5

|| Chapter 5 ||

Heather woke up the next morning. She glanced at her phone to see the time. 6:00 AM. She groaned and slid off the couch.

She got up and got ready, brushed her hair and teeth, and sat down on the couch. She grabbed her phone and read a text from Charlotte.

It was to a group chat with Amy, Jackson and Ryder.

We're meeting at my house then heading out to the Forbidden Forest.

She opened the text, liked the text, and replied with ok.

She stood up off the couch, ate an apple and headed out to Char's house.

She walked down the road until she got to Char's house. She walked down the long driveway and found that she was already outside with Amy and Jackson.

"Hey," Heather greeted as she approached them.

"Hey!" Amy said, and Charlotte and Jackson echoed her.

"We'll be heading out on horseback," Charlotte explained. "We'll tack up Treasure, Splash and Crimson while Jackson goes him to get his and Ryder's horses."

Heather nodded and the girls headed to the barn to get the horses. The horses were finishing their food while the girls prepared food for the journey.

They would need food for the horses since they were staying overnight.

After they got the food packed, Heather clipped on Treasure's lead rope and led him out to tie him up. She tied up the black paint gelding and started grooming him.

She picked out his feet, brushed his coat and brushed his mane and tail. Once she finished grooming him, she went into the tack room and came back out with a blue saddle pad.

She set the saddle pad on Treasure's back and made sure it was on correctly. She then went back and grabbed the saddle she had ridden in the day before.

She carried the saddle back and tossed it up on Treasure's back. She got the saddle all hooked up and left him tied up outside of the barn.

She went back into the tack room and came back with a bridle, which she hung up on the saddle horn. She turned to the others after they had finished tacking up. "We'll go get some food and then we can head out," Charlotte said, leading the girls inside.

After they finished eating, they went back outside and found Jackson and Ryder already mounted on their horses.

Jackson rode a dapple gray mare named Rain and Ryder rode a buckskin gelding named Bucky.

Heather headed over to Treasure and wrapped the reins around his neck. She then undid his halter and put it on around his neck. She slid the bit into the gelding's mouth and slipped the bridle over his ears.

She hooked it up and made sure the bridle was adjusted correctly, then she undid the halter from around his neck, untied the lead rope, and hung the lead rope and halter up on the saddle horn.

She then tightened the front cinch and back cinch and made sure that the stirrups were the correct length for her. Once she was done adjusting the saddle, she mounted and they headed out.

They headed out behind Charlotte's house, since there was a trail back there that led to the Forbidden Forest. Charlotte took the lead down the path.

Once they got a little ways down the path, Charlotte looked back at them. "We're almost there," She said, turning off the path into the forest behind her house.

She led the group through the woods and down a small incline, along a ditch, and across a field, finally she stopped at the edge of a road and stared across.