Chapter Five

The two women stood facing each other in quietude. The cold dawn air blew about them, lifting their clothing and hair and making them flutter around them. This chilled breeze made Emese's pores raise but did nothing to the vampire for she was immune to temperature changes. To her, it felt like a gentle wind whereas the human was almost to the point of shivering from it.

Outside in the waking morn, they stood and there was a combination of light and darkness in the sky. Patches of clouds in between held the early birthing of the sun, but night was still on the horizon too as blackness tainted more than half of the sky and the earth.

With their silence and careful observance of one another, neither woman attempted to say anything for a long time. Eventually, though, Emese was the first to make a move for it. She slipped past the vampire and headed back for the comfort and warmth of her home, to which she noted the woman followed some seconds later.

To distract herself from the slight tension, she busied herself starting a fire at the grate and as she worked at striking up the flames, she felt a presence loom over her. With this presence, she noted how a chill fanned down her neck, face and the exposed skin of her arm. Turning her attention to the rescued woman who stood mere inches away from her, Emese noticed she held within her hand a few logs of wood. Quietly, she took the wood, adding them to the fire that crackled inside the pit.

In silence, the two stood fueling the flames until Emese deemed it strong enough. She tried to bustle off thereafter to someplace else, somewhere she wouldn't feel that chill emanating from the woman but Anastasía stopped her in her tracks when she addressed her.

“I've been alive for quite some time,” she revealed to the woman who pretended to ignore her. Those unexpected words caused the brunette to look over her shoulder discreetly, her shadowed face marred with intrigue.

“You've made mention of this already, why do you feel the need to repeat yourself?” she queried as she didn't quite comprehend what the vampire gained from being redundant.

“I've decided to give you answers to some of your questions. If my memory serves me correctly, I was vague in my responses yesterday,”

Brown eyes eventually softened as they finally realized the vampire was being honest about sharing certain details. Turning her entire body so that she faced her, Emese's ears tuned in for the things about to come.

“Go on,”

“The year was 1126,” confided Anastasía. “I was born nearly two centuries ago,”

“That is impressive,” whispered Emese, her face morphing from deadpan to animated.

What the vampire shared certainly explained the quaint way in which she spoke she thought to herself. She grew up in a time that was most certainly different in not just language but culture, ideals, morals, and beliefs and such a thought was utterly mind-blowing.

“And were you really born here in Obscure?”

“I was, yes. Further north though. My childhood home sat upon a cliff that overlooked The Sea of Roray.”

“Wow,” she whispered again. “I wish to visit such a place, I am convinced it must be beautiful,”

It was,” chimed Anastasía.

The woman frowned. “It was?”

“Destroyed by some terrible people,”

Regret permeating for being too inquisitive only to be given such a tragic answer, the woman expressed her sympathy. “I'm sorry that happened,”

“Don't be, that was a long time ago,”

“Right,” Emese mumbled, her careful gaze on the way the woman stood rigidly.