Chapter Fourteen

The new day came with the woman of the house being the first to wake up and with zest. This was intentional, her waking first for she wanted to be the one to interact with Ana before she was whisked away by a hyperactive Tamas and it so happened that she was for the little boy was still sound asleep when she snuck out of the bedroom.

A trace of the wine she'd had the night before still lingered in her system and it caused her to stumble a bit as she strolled into the warm vicinity, where nestled in the chair was the formidable figure.

When Emese came into contact with the dark figure resting in the chair it dawned on her that throughout the night, Ana had replenished the wood in the grate and candles all through the home for the atmosphere was cosy and nice and candles that burned completely, taller ones flickered beside them.

With the light, this made her able to see the figure as her head lay on an arm of the chair, while a hand was thrown over her face, covering it. On the other end of the furniture, her long legs hung off the edge, swaying ever so gently.

The vampire who feigned slumber startled the person who tried to move stealthily toward her by removing the hand from her face and looking directly at the figure with her rapt gaze.

"I heard you from the moment you woke up; there was no use trying to sneak up on me,"

Amazed, the brunette walked around to the chair that doubled as a bed for the stranger. She stood in front of it, staring down at the woman whose face was now uncovered and looking back at her with an expression so airy yet indescribable, only the eyes, the windows into the soul could convey such a comprehensive thing.

Flashes of last evening's interaction when they stood in each other's embrace, propelled by the after-effects of the wine continued perhaps by genuine fondness came back to her but Emese suppressed them as quickly as they surfaced. The day was too early for her to start it reminiscing on being in the vampire's arms she thought.

"How is that even possible?"

"My kind has acute hearing, my lady— we have impeccable senses on the whole,"

"So you can hear everything then?"

"I can hear everything up to a certain distance," Ana corrected.

Slowly she sat up in the chair, inevitably patting the vacant spot beside her for her hostess to join.

Emese hesitated for some time, she contemplated whether it was the right thing to do given the encounter from last evening but was convinced she needed to the longer she studied the vampire.

Strolling over to the long piece of furniture, quietly she sat down beside the woman who felt colder than the new morning. At that notion of this coldness, the brunette remembered she'd stitched a blanket for her guest but was yet to give it to her. This would be soon though for Ana's sleep cycle worked anti-clockwise to theirs and she would slumber the moment the sun showed itself.

Gracefully, Anastasía observed the human. Inwardly she revelled at the warmth that cascaded from her smaller frame. It was as if she were a furnace, burning fervently, perpetually while Ana was eternally cold and gloomy but striding toward this heat source to feel some semblance of warmth.

Ana moved on to admire Emese. The thickness of her lashes and eyebrow, and the way her curly hair sat around her like a natural crown was worth being painted by some renowned artist and hung in a room where only she looked at her Ana thought.

She tried not to get lost in a downward spiral, where optics of the woman's beauty afflicted her but failed. Emese had surfaced without her headscarf and the nightgown she wore was shorter than her typical dress. The more Anastasía saw her in this light the more she was drawn to her, and the more she felt her hostess was becoming comfortable enough to let her see what lay beneath her modesty.