Chapter Nine

Anastasia was not the only one who could not sleep even after their wine-induced conversation that ran well into the next day. Emese had a similar situation, sleep, when she decided to go off to bed, eloped her as it often did, however, there was a valid reason besides her mind aimlessly spiralling this time.

Staring up at the darkened ceiling, the woman found herself ruminating about the mysterious vampire who captured her attention in the strangest of ways. These thoughts led her down a path of wanting to know if she was bewitched or if she was losing her mind. Because the way that eccentric figure assimilated into her home with little to no effort was a mystery and somewhat distressing. The vampire could harbour all sorts of intentions, she could secretly be plotting to hurt them or worse but there she was being entertained and housed by them. 

The brunette listened to the quietness of the home and she tried to imagine what the woman did in the solitude she was given: did her mind spiral too? Was she just as worried that she trusted two humans enough to not give up her whereabouts to the people who wanted to capture her? Was she even worried?

The nature of their acquaintance left Emese wondering if the woman worked with magic. To be that fearless meant either she was covered by an indubitable force or she was powerful enough on her own to defend herself against everything. She also believed the vampire was affiliated with magic for she refused to believe that someone as protective as she would let an unknown, supernatural figure around her and her brother unless she had no control over the situation; did she have any control? She felt like she didn't.

Recently her thoughts were filled with nothing but the vampire: why and how she wound up there were the top questions. She couldn't just believe it was coincidental, but what if it was? What if this was all chance and not planned? And what if there were no ulterior motive just a kind, curious woman who happened to be of the occult?

In the bed beside her sleeping brother, Emese's consciousness was inundated with questions upon questions, some silly ones too and the wine she drank were to be blamed for those.

Eventually, sleep did come and she slumbered peacefully until she woke up to the sound of Tamas' laughter. This time she was not frightened for she woke up with the knowledge that the woman was there with them and had been all night.

Carefully making her way out of bed, Emese followed the voice of her brother and it led her to the back of the cottage where she pushed the already-opened door, exposing the outside world. There in the brightness of day, the brunette was greeted by the sight of the two.

The vampire had the boy hoisted into the blueberry tree in their midst. His tiny feet swung beneath him as he clumsily picked the ripened fruits that hung in front of him and each time he tried to grab a berry, the vampire would wobble him around, causing him to sway resulting in his hearty laughter.

As she witnessed this unusual display of trust on both of them, not an inkling of danger inundated Emese's nervous system, because as she looked she realized the woman held him tightly. She was focused on Tamas as if he was the most precious being there was and something about that realization hit very hard.

Emese stood there watching them for some time, ogling at her brother's obliviousness and joy in being held so high and for so long. She watched as they moved from sections of the tree until Anastasia gently placed the boy on the ground again after he would've picked most of the ripened fruit.

The raven head smiled as the little boy jumped up and down with the fruit basket in his hands. A dimple formed on the right side of his face and she thought it was adorable. "Again, again," Tamas begged the vampire, his cheeky smile as bright as the new day and almost convincing.