10.

When we arrived at the theater to see Tucker Frost's new feature film, he greeted Jeff and me. There was an ominous glint in his eyes as he scrutinized Jeff, who was dressed in his customary plaid shirt and shabby jeans. To dress up for the occasion, Jeff had managed to wear an oversized navy jacket, a failed attempt at style. The two men couldn't have been more divergent in fashion and looks. Tucker wore a charcoal suit, custom-tailored to his lean frame. His shoes alone would have cost more than Jeff's entire wardrobe. I could see the disparagement in Tucker's smirk. It was as if he were comparing himself to my date, wondering what I'd seen in him. I hadn't—I'd not experienced anything special. Jeff was a man who thought I was good enough to date. And he was kind enough not to push me into any form of commitment. It wasn't love. It could never be love. My heart was branded by Frost.

--Iliana Gardner, Stained Glass Shards

ELYCE

"What was that about, Elyce?" Ritter asked when we were alone in the reflective stainless steel elevator.

I didn't know what to say, but my years of lying to keep from expecting or demanding more from Griffin helped me respond. "You know actors. He was very flirtatious, but I'm impervious to his charms."

"Did you tell—" he attempted to ask, but we had arrived at the ground level, and thankfully, his cell phone rang as we exited the elevator. He raised his index finger, requesting a moment of privacy, and walked a few feet away.

I took my phone out of my purse and turned it on so I could check emails and voicemails.

My breath halted and my pulse rose when I saw Griffin had called. He hadn't left a message. The Boston area code and the first three numerals were enough to show he'd found me.

He'd called me about an hour before we saw each other. How had he obtained my new private cell phone number? It unnerved me.

He hadn't mentioned calling me when we were alone together, leaving me under the impression that our reunion was spontaneous. But it wasn't, was it?

Was this his way of warning me before contact?

Had he already known about my book?

Had he planned all of this?

As I pondered a million questions, the phone vibrated in my hand. I hadn't switched on the ringer. I looked at the number.

It was him, again.

Torturing me with the newfound knowledge that he had my cell. I felt violated. My privacy was invaded, and anger boiled my blood.

"How did you get this number?" I snapped into the phone.

"Ely." I could hear the smirk in his voice. "If you thought we were through when you called us off, you were mistaken. I gave you the time you needed. You had your fun with Ritter. I'm no longer willing to keep you a secret, especially when we'll be working so closely together."

"Griffin, we have nothing to do with each other. I'm not involved with the film, so as far as I'm concerned, our meeting ended a few minutes ago. Good luck to you."

"I need to see you, tonight," he said before I could hang up.

"That's not possible," I answered.

"It's very possible, Ely."

"Elyce."

"You can change your name a thousand times, Ely, but we both know who you truly are," he responded. "I'll text you the address of a very discreet club. Your name will be on the guest list." My brows knitted as he issued orders. "And Ely, I really suggest you show up. Make sure you keep Ritter distracted. You don't want him to know the true nature of our relationship, do you?" My breath accelerated, and I fought the urge to dry heave.

Griffin hung up.

The Fates, refusing me a chance to recover from Griffin's ambush, ensured Ritter returned immediately after he hung up.

"There's a problem," He said.

"What?" I asked, fearing Griffin had done something to ruin my relationship with Ritter.

"A deal I'm working on is fraying at the seams."

"Are you okay?"

"I need to be in a teleconference later. It means our plans have to be pushed back, and I can't take you to all the sites I wanted us to do this afternoon." He took my hand. "How about we take an early dinner, and I can get my friend, Raina, to take you sightseeing?"

"Um, I have to write anyway. I'm feeling inspired by this meeting today. I'll stay in the room and work on my new book."

"Well, sweetness, my work is confidential, as you know, and I need privacy." He looked sheepish. "I don't want you displaced, though. I can see if the hotel will provide me with a meeting room or something."

"No, Rit. I'm good. I can just go to the hotel lounge. You know I can write anywhere."

"But we're in LA. You should be checking out the sights, not cooped up in the hotel lobby with your laptop," he said.

My phone buzzed with a text. I glanced down to see the text box highlight a new message. I refused to read it.

Ritter walked me toward the parking ramp. When we were far enough away from the building and devoid of any impropriety, we held hands as we discussed the day's events. He didn't mention Griffin as he attempted to make me feel okay with the change in plans. I barely paid attention. Griffin's order for me to meet him took residence in my mind.

I'm scared.

Afraid he would shatter me again.

Resisting the urge to scream, I grabbed Ritter instead and kissed him with fervor. I willed his kiss to help me forget it all. I desperately needed to be numbed with a breathless kiss, his body heavy on mine, and his rigidity deep inside of me.

Ritter pulled away, took a breath, and slowly opened his eyes. "What was that for?"

The look in his eyes showed his surprise and arousal.

"I'm glad I'm here with you," I admitted.

He smiled with crinkled eyes and leaned in for another kiss.

We remained exposed to the world, open to the scrutiny of people we'd just met.

After one last brush of lips, Ritter laced his fingers with mine, and we walked to the car, bouncing joyfully with heat flushing our cheeks. His grip was firm and protective.

I need him to save me.

My phone buzzed, and Griffin's number popped up again with the start of a message. Did I ever make you that happy?

I turned off my phone.