40.

Epilogue

To love after intense loss is frightening. After the end of a love affair, who would ever subject themselves to feeling for another human being? Human beings are such capricious creatures, easily displeased by a lover who was once held in high devotion. And the love for a new individual can come as easily as one look; a glare or dismissal which prompts instant obsession. Asa Locke had rejected me with a furtive glance, stealing my thoughts and feelings. I hadn't wanted to be with any man, especially a distinguished one. But one upturned nose and smirk made me want more from the mature gentleman, who dazzled all the ladies in the room of the banquet hall as I served, dressed in my chef's whites and hat, from the carving table at the buffet station. I wanted him—and he would be mine.

--Penny Booker, Salvaged Pieces

GRIFFIN

My manager left me a voicemail, asking me to read my email. I'd been incommunicado during my trip to Belize. I had decided to take some time away after filming my TV series and Stained Glass Shards. Both had left me drained and needing to recharge before I started filming a few more projects I was able to secure.

Elyce's legal stipulations had proven more valuable than the money settlement. I had slowly regained my stature in Hollywood. It was imperative that I meet face-to-face with seminal industry executives and offer my apologies and assurances that I would keep my nose clean and behave professionally.

I found a new agent—one with better connections than my last one. Bianca had contacted me and claimed she wanted to work with me. When I researched her, I learned she had many more connections and resources than Peter ever had. The calls for auditions and sponsorship deals returned. It had been almost impossible to meet all the demands of my filming schedule.

Ten months had passed since my altercation with Ritter Thorman at Elyce's apartment. I made a daily conscious effort to move on. I heard through the grapevine that they became engaged shortly after our settlement agreement. I was too numb to feel anything for her. My indifference let me know I was capable of releasing control over her. She wasn't mine to worry about. A formal news release in a big-time New York newspaper formally announced their engagement.

She looked happy. Glowing, in fact.

The way he gripped her close was evidence of how he felt about her, too. She was Ritter's and she loved it. The article also explained that she had a new release with the same publisher of Stained Glass Shards. There was no mention of who her agents were. I supposed it didn't matter anyway. Elyce had become Ritter's betrothed. The couple will live in New York City remained on my mind. She had moved for him, but she wouldn't have done it for me.

Should I have moved to New York City?

It was always an option and I would have found acting and modeling gigs. More and more, films were being shot on the East Coast.

Why couldn't I have done the same?

Because she wasn't enough. She had never been enough to make me change my ways. Only when she was no longer available had I pursued the idea of sacrificing for her. And my renunciation had been too little too late. I had only hurt my bottom line, spending too much money on that damned lawsuit and investigators to inform me of her and Ritter's every move. Her financial compensation didn't matter as much when she paid me off with a personal check from her brother. It was pennies for him.

I wasn't alone in Belize, asking an aspiring supermodel to join me. After she signed a non-disclosure agreement, we spent an entire week frolicking on the beach and romping on the bed or the counter and many times in the bathtub. She was a great choice for my sexual gratification. She was open and willing to satisfy me. There was nothing she wasn't willing to try at all hours of the day and night. The first three days were spent indoors naked but for a rubber.