20.

ELYCE

That kiss.

He looked so good and smelled incredible. He'd taken down a man for me, claiming I was with him. We had never experienced something like that before. At least, I'd never had a man defend my honor. Griffin had swept me away. His attention to me was all I'd ever dreamed about.

But it was too late.

The kiss proved it.

It was in the past.

I didn't want to ruin the evening by scolding him for something we both had thought about. But Ritter flashed in my mind when our lips made contact. I could feel Ritter's hands all over my body. His cock tucked deep inside me, owning me as he gave me a mandate Just because I encouraged you to go out with Griffin Belanger doesn't mean you should sleep with him.

You're mine, echoed in my mind. I remembered the way his voice lowered to a rough growl as he claimed me verbally and his cock drove into me to affirm his declaration.

"I need to get back now," I told Griffin as the heat dissipated, replaced by a chill.

He sighed, nodding in acceptance, not necessarily in agreement.

Taking my hand, he led us toward the exit. I slowed him down to place my champagne flute on a table. We said our goodbyes to his associates and friends on the way out. When our path was blocked by people and tables, Griffin held me close with his injured arm and parted the crowd with the other.

I tried my hardest to remain alert on the long ride back to the hotel. Traffic at that time of the evening was horrendous. I sensed the driver had taken this route to extend the amount of time I remained with Griffin. Eventually, I dozed off, resting my head on the window. When we arrived at the hotel, Griffin woke me. I found myself cradled into his body. I sensed the feel of a kiss on my forehead after he brushed my hair away.

I slid away from him, adjusting my hair and clothes before exiting the backseat. Joe opened the door for me, extending his hand for support. Griffin arrived at my side and grasped my elbow. I pulled away. This would be as far as I'd allow him to go.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm okay here. Thank you for the lovely evening." I attempted to sidestep him and walk toward the entrance.

"I'll take you up."

"I can manage."

"I'm not going to let you walk to your hotel room alone at one in the morning."

"I'm perfectly safe here," I assured.

"Ely."

"Griffin, I've been really accommodating tonight. I'm not about this life. This is your world. I learned a lot about you—"

"So you can put it in a book?"

"Why are you doing this?"

"Doing what?"

"This. Arguing. Throwing things in my face."

"Your whole book throws things in my face."

"Goodnight, Griffin."

"Don't walk away from me."

"That's the issue, Griffin. You've just highlighted why we can't be friends."

"Friends help each other arrive safely at their hotel rooms."

"Then we can't be friends," I said and walked away.

Much to my relief, he didn't follow.

* * *

My body had finally adjusted to the time change, awakening early in the morning. Guilt for the way things ended with Griffin had a little do to do with my fitful sleep. It wasn't the way I wanted to cap an otherwise great evening.