14.

ELYCE

"Hi."

"Where are you?" Ritter asked.

"Are you okay?" I countered, deflecting for time to come up with a valid story.

"Yeah. I came looking for you because I'm done with my meeting. Where are you?"

"I went to get some dinner. I didn't want to bother you, and I figured if you got hungry you could order room service."

"You left the hotel? There are three restaurants here. You left your purse."

"I have that cellphone-wallet thingy to pay for stuff. It's my emergency backup," I rambled. "One of those things my brother introduced me to."

"Well, come back. I miss you."

My heart melted. "I'm so glad you're done. I miss you, too."

I heard Griffin shuffle closer to me. "I'll be back quickly. See you soon." I hung up as Griffin called out to me.

"Elyce. Come back to dinner."

"I have to go."

"What?"

"Ritter is done with his meeting, and he's waiting for me."

A clouded expression darkened his face and his jaw clenched.

"I need my laptop," I added firmly.

"I'll drive you."

"No," I said, pressing the elevator button.

The door slid open, and I entered the elevator with him at my heels. In the tight enclosure, he remained silent, no doubt maintaining our privacy from the other Club members. Once we arrived at the ground floor, I exited first and sprinted to the valet.

"I need a cab to the Beverly—"

Griffin ushered me to a quiet corner before I could finish. "Ely, please. Let me take you back to the hotel."

"No. I just need my laptop. Isn't that your driver?" I asked, pointing behind him. He turned to look and when he returned his eyes to me, his lips were pursed.

A cab pulled up right in front of us, and I put up a finger to request a moment. Sidestepping Griffin, I made my way to his car. His driver looked flustered, looking behind me at Griffin, who followed.

I opened the rear passenger door. When I reached in to grab my case, Griffin gave me a gentle shove. I tumbled onto the back seat, my legs splayed behind me. To stabilize myself and scramble back out, I pushed against him, but he was too strong. In an instant, he shifted me over and sat down next to me.

"Griffin, please. I have to go."

"I said I will drop you off." His commanding tone frightened me.

I knew he wouldn't harm me, but I sensed he wouldn't take no for an answer. And if I'd hoped to preserve what I had with Ritter, I needed to acquiesce and let Griffin take me to the hotel. The driver peeled out of the driveway when I settled in the seat.

I attempted to keep my distance from Griffin, but despite his injured arm, he reached over and put on my seatbelt. He inhaled my scent as he pressed against me. At one time, I would've been titillated by his interest, but now my anxiety soared.

I held the seatbelt and warned, "I can take care of myself."

He sat back and fastened his own.

I checked the time as we traveled, wishing it would stand still so I'd make it back at a reasonable hour. I kept rehearsing what I would say to Ritter. When I had lost all hope that I could give him a rational scenario, I smacked my hands against my face. It was my way of shutting down before the panic set in. Griffin had seen this before—nurturing me in college before exams when my confidence was at an all-time low.