Chapter Thirty - Alex's Dad

I cringed away from Laurie as he finally let go of me, both my hands shooting down to my groin to desperately contain the wee spurting out into my pajama pants. It was too late however, my loose fingers putting up no more resistance than the feeble tree branches against the relentless rain thundering down outside as the warm wet liquid spread slowly out across my cold damp crotch.

I let out a defeated moan, breathing heavily in and out as I sat up on my butt. I still couldn't see anything.The blinding bright white lights had all of us squinting and the loud booming noise of an engine was roaring like a hungry predator. Eventually the engine noise stopped, leaving nothing but the persistent drum of the rain on the porch over our heads. The lights remained however, my eyes slowly adjusting to the bright light to make out the vague shape of a large gray van parked on the muddy patch of grass in front of the workshop.

I heard the car door open and close with a thud, a formless burly figure stepping out into the murky darkness behind the headlights. At first, I only recognized the man from his voice. "Alex!" Ross McLaughlin, Alex's father shouted, frantically stomping forward through the rain and up onto the porch to give her a big hug. "What are you doing here?" He asked her and knelt down so they were eye to eye. I could see now that he was wearing a huge bright yellow raincoat, the hood framing a kindly comforting smile.

"It was an emergency." She answered and planted her chin on his shoulder. "It was raining so hard!"

Ross lifted his daughter up and held her on his hip as if she weighed no more than a tiny baby, kissing her forehead. He looked at the five of us, mentally counting. "You're all here." He observed. "Thank goodness, you have half the town out looking for you." His deep, serious voice sent a chill down my spine. It was just like Zach had said. We were in deep trouble.

"Sorry Alex's Dad." Zach intoned gravely, and stood up in front of us - taking full responsibility. "I-I didn't know it was going to rain like this."

Ross looked him up and down, setting Alex down on her feet again. "Zachary, you should put on your pants. I'm taking everyone home." He told him.

Zach looked down at his bare legs and blushed, but obeyed immediately rushing inside to collect his clothes. "I'll get everyone's stuff." He narrated, starting to gather up shoes from the pile we'd made in the corner and beaver vests from the hook by the door. "Cooper lost a shoe." He stated in his frantic voice.

Ross plodded over towards me and looked down to show me the same comforting smile he'd shown Alex. I was still gripping tight to my crotch, frantically trying to hide the stain on my pajama pants, but there was no disguising the small puddle that had formed under my butt. "You okay little guy?" Ross asked gently and went down to one knee, offering a hand. "Your parents are worried sick."

I tried to say something, but I was too flustered. I looked away. It still hadn't quite processed in my head that I had actually peed my pants. I was supposed to be eleven years old, yet there I was in a soaked pair of pajama pants like a terrified toddler. I stole a nervous glance at Laurie who was looking at me with his hands covering his mouth in shock. "Cooper! Did you have an accident?" He whispered in a scandalized tone, a guilty look on his face.

"I...uh..." I sputtered in humiliated confusion and looked away from both of them to stare at the ceiling. I scrunched shut my eyes, trying to collect my thoughts. Too much was happening all at once. I dared to open my eyes again, but my vision was all blurry from tears. I took in a few shuddering sniffs. I was such a baby.

A heavy reassuring hand landed on my shoulder, squeezing it a little. "It's okay." Ross said soothingly. "It was a scary night, huh?" He reached one arm behind me and one under my legs, scooping me up and holding me against his rain jacket. I wiped my teary cheeks on the wet plasticky material, letting out an incoherent moan. "Let's get you changed okay?"