Chapter Fifty-Three - Christmas Eve

It had been a few weeks since the Christmas festival, and it still felt like everything was different. Even though Nate did leave me alone at school, I had been on edge - constantly looking over my shoulder. Zach and Brad made sure there wasn't a single moment I was alone. Brad walked me to class, and they took turns hanging out with me. Zach even asked to go to the washroom every time I did. He wasn't taking any chances.

Now however, school was out for the rest of the year. It was Christmas properly, and I could finally try to relax. I was hoping without the looming thought of returning to Welton Public School I could finally get a good night's sleep. If I didn't wake up in the middle of the night screaming though, making Mom and Dad come running through the house, I would wake up in the morning with a wet bed! I hadn't wet the bed in years before. But the very first night after Nate made me wear a diaper, I woke up with soggy sheets.

I tried to hide it at first, but Mom found out right away. It's not like I ever did my own laundry, so she knew something was up from the very first night. She'd caught me uselessly fiddling with the buttons on the washing machine early in the morning, a conspicuous yellow stain still visible on my pajamas. I was so embarrassed, but Mom just told me to take a shower and that was it. It was the longest shower of my life. I stood there until the water ran cold.

The next time it happened was a few nights later. Mom helped me change the sheets again like it wasn't a big deal. She was worried though. I remember listening to Mom and Dad talk through their door after I was supposed to be in bed, murmuring about how I wasn't sleeping properly.

After that, Mom wouldn't let me have water before bed; she had used to leave a water bottle on my nightstand in case I was thirsty. Dad told me no more electronics an hour before bedtime; he even set up a block on my phone. My bedtime was another rule; Mom and Dad wanted me in bed early since I kept waking up in the night. It felt like I was really back in First Grade with all the precautions. Mom and Dad assured me I wasn't in trouble though, and that we were just trying some things out. Still, it made me feel like a little kid - even more than Beavers. Mom even left my door open a bit at night so she could hear if I woke up.

I took a deep breath. Today wasn't about my poor sleeping habits - today was Christmas Eve! Nate had told me that Santa wasn't real, but I was going to prove him wrong! I had told Mom and Dad I was camping out on the couch, and I was even going to take a video of him with my phone.

Dad had made a face, like maybe he was about to say something about all my new bedtime rules, but Mom just gave him this weird look and put a hand on his shoulder and he shut right up. She had even pulled out my old Christmas pajamas from somewhere - a one piece bright primary red set of footie pajamas, the feet ended with white vinyl toe caps of anti slip material. Usually I would scoff at the childish pajamas, but they were so soft and warm. Wearing them made me feel safe, like my stuffie Cotton Wool snug under my comforter - or a real polar bear cub cuddled up safe in some distant ice cave. It wasn't like anyone was going to see. Besides, it was winter now and Canada was cold!

I was sitting on the couch beside our Christmas tree - a big Douglas Fir tree Dad and I picked out a couple weeks ago. I remember after we spent the whole Sunday morning trudging through the tree farm, Dad had let me pick any tree I wanted. After helping him carry it home and decorating it with Mom, it was one of the few nights I slept soundly with no accident.

I looked up at the smiling face of my school picture from Kindergarten on the mantelpiece. We had made macaroni photo frame decorations. Beside it was a similar decoration made only a few weeks ago at Beavers, only this one was this year's school photo made of popsicle sticks. I frowned. I definitely looked a little older, but not that much older. Thanks to Zach, a good chunk of the school still thought I was still Kindergarten age anyway.