Chapter Thirty-Three - Bedtime Story

"Cooper!" Mom gasped, shocked at my sudden arrival. For once I wasn't concerned with punishment. I couldn't believe Mom just told someone my secret. What if the others found out?

"Why did you tell her?" I demanded haughtily, crossing my arms over my Winnie the Pooh robe like a disgruntled hotel guest rudely awoken from a peaceful night's sleep. I couldn't maintain my adolescent pique for long however, my pouting lips soon starting to tremble with genuine heartbroken betrayal. "I said not to say anything." I repeated in a squeak. "I said!"

"Oh, sweetie..." Mom sighed, holding out her arms invitingly to offer me a hug.

I hesitated at first, the idea of snuggling up with my mommy in front of Ms Diaz moments after she'd found out my real age stinging my pride. I was so upset however I felt like I might start bawling like a baby if I didn't hug someone. That would have been even worse. So I tottered forward, burying my face in Mom's chest as I took a few stabilizing breaths before I gathered the courage to break away, clambering up to sit sulkily on the sofa - staring up vindictively at the adults.

Ms Diaz' befuddled expression had steadily been reknitting into a calm, serene smile of understanding over the last few moments. Now she was nodding thoughtfully to herself, clearly putting together all the little scraps of evidence as my Dad explained everything.

"There wasn't any space in the Cub group, you see." he began, starting from the very first day when we had arrived in Welton. "And scouting had always meant so much to him..."

"He'd always been so little, and Taylor was so understanding. And then there was the whole other issue with school." Mom butted in, eliciting another kitten-like squeal of dismay from me. She stopped talking, putting a comforting hand atop my mop of brown shaggy hair by way of apology. "The point is, he's happier here than I think he ever was in California." She concluded, offering me a weak smile. I scowled back grumpily, even though it was true. Right then though, I didn't feel very happy at all.

"That's the most important thing." Ms Diaz hummed in agreement, making eye contact with me. Even now she knew the truth, she was still looking at me with that same affectionate saccharine smile - like I was some fussy five year old throwing a fit over getting the wrong flavor of ice cream. "He's certainly been a very good friend to Charlie and Alex. And the Love boys too."

"Please don't tell anyone." I begged, my voice a hoarse whisper as I sat up straight as a board on the sofa. "Taylor knows, but the Kindies all think I'm eight, and Zach and everyone at school thinks I'm only five, and Ross..." I trailed off into incoherent anxious mumbling, too exhausted to get into the weeds dissecting my delicate web of mistruths. I shivered, thinking back to how Alex's Dad had found me that very night covered in mud with my pajama bottoms soaked in pee. He'd treated me just like a baby.

"I won't tell the kids." Ms Diaz assured, shutting me up. Still, I wasn't entirely reassured. Was she going to tell Ross? She must have been planning on telling him. I didn't really know for sure, but it seemed like they were kinda like boyfriend and girlfriend. Did grown-ups have boyfriends and girlfriends, or was it called something else when you were an adult? I blushed. Maybe it was for the best. So long as he didn't tell Alex.

"Thank you..." I sighed, rubbing my eyes tiredly as I let out a little yawn. I collapsed down into a slouch again, cuddling up against my Mom's shoulder.

She chuckled. "I think it's bedtime for sleepy eleven-year-olds." she told me, checking her watch. "Goodness. It's already past midnight."

"Okay..." I agreed, stumbling to my feet. I cringed at the sight of them all staring at me, not really knowing what to say. "Sorry..."

"There's no need to apologize, Cooper." Dad said, getting to his feet too. "We should probably head to bed too." he declared, giving me a smile. "Come on, I'll walk you up."