Chapter Fifty-Five - Christmas Playtime

Zach's mood changed the moment his Mom got back in her car. I saw his frown sharpen into a full scowl. "He hasn't even unwrapped his gifts yet." Zach muttered, mostly to himself. "I could have watched you." He mumbled to Laurie as he helped him unzip his snowsuit.

I stopped feeling as embarrassed when I saw what Laurie was wearing. He was decked out in red and white with the brightest, most eye-catching, almost shimmery baggy shorts on. A set of candy cane striped suspenders went over his shoulders, and behind him in a large bow were ribbons dangling behind him. He had a white collared T-Shirt with a bowtie that matched his suspenders with red cuffs at the end of his sleeves. He must have noticed me, noticing him and blushed a little.

Zach took off his own coat to reveal a regular green sweatshirt and slacks. He rolled his eyes at me looking at his brother. "Mom got it for him." He said plainly. "I don't think he thought anyone else would see it."

Laurie noticed Zach's mood shift and took his brother's hand, pulling him into the living room room towards the Christmas tree. "Let's see what Cooper got!" He said loudly. I frowned as I watched them go. Something didn't feel right. Laurie seemed even louder than he was normally. I guess he was just excited.

"Happy Birthday!" I called out and rushed after them back to the living room, deciding to forget about it.

Laurie flashed me a wide smile, though that didn't look normal either - almost like he was pretending to be happy. I wondered if he was jealous or something. I guess it was a little awkward. Laurie was going to watch me unwrap a gift on his birthday. I guess he must have been used to it by now, but it still made me feel bad. I hadn't even gotten him anything.

I sat back down by the tree and Zach flopped onto one of the empty couches and motionend for Laurie to sit beside him, which he did.

Finally Mom picked up the last gift and placed it in my lap. I could hear and feel it crinkle and rustle, just like a pack of diapers would. I bit my lip nervously and closed my eyes, imagining myself sitting in the little toddler seat in a grocery cart as my Mom rolled me down the baby aisle. I imagined Mom picking up a big red pack of Huggies Overnites just like the one Nate had put me in and pushing the crinkling plasticky package into my hands. I imagined sitting with a fussy frown and my arms crossed as the cashier bagged them up at the check out, smirking adoringly at my pouty face - everyone knowing they were for me. Was that really what the new year would be like? Was this the first pack of many?

"Open it, open it!" Laurie enthused happily, stirring me back to reality. I opened my eyes, feeling my heart start to race as I looked up at Laurie and Zach watching me expectantly.

"It's the last present Cooper, then you can go play with your friends." Mom told me, sounding a little impatient. I met eyes with her, feeling as vulnerable as a tiny preschooler missing his Mommy on his first day of school. I looked across at Dad, the familiar sight of him calmly sipping coffee as he fiddled with the radio to turn on soft murmuring Christmas carols like a warm snuggly hug. My parents wouldn't really get me diapers for Christmas, would they? Even if I needed them. We'd go to the store. Or they'd pick them up while I was at school. Or maybe they'd just buy them online! They wouldn't do this! Would they?

"Come on, Coop." Dad encouraged jokingly. "It'll still be Christmas - even when all your presents are open."

I blinked nervously, squeezing the present. "I kn-know!" I stuttered. I picked up the tag. "To Cooper, From Mom and Dad." I read out, refraining from calling my parents by the babyish titles they'd actually written there. I lifted a corner, almost certain I could see the red plastic packaging of the diapers that were definitely hidden by the wrapping paper. I swallowed. "Maybe I should open it later... Now that we have guests?"