The Basketball Game

Now that Steve, the cute, dorky kid from Scoops Ahoy who had taken her home and won her heart, knew her name, and she had his number, she had been reaching for every opportunity to hear him caress her name with his gentle lips. Saturday was too far away, and she needed to see him again before their first date. The perfect event had now arisen to see him in action and praise him for something other than scooping ice cream. She had made good friends with his sister, Eden, after discovering she had transferred to her history class, where she knew no one. Scottie thought she had a kind, petite look about her, and she was very knowledgeable about history, which was much to be appreciated. So within the span of two weeks, they had become the best of friends and both decided to join the girl's soccer team, much to Steve's pleasure. He had been trying to get his sister involved in an extracurricular activity, other than the weirdos' Dungeons and Dragons club; he was glad she had a friend who had a positive force on her, but he also rejoiced in the fact that he would see Scottie playing in the field during his own outdoor practices (but he said this to no one). And so the two friends had decided to watch Steve in the final match of the season.

"Come here, let's go this way," said Scottie, grabbing Eden by the wrist.

"Wha—where are we going? The door's on the other side."

"Yes, but then we'd have to pay. And we don't have jobs, sooo..."

"You've done this before, haven't you?"

"I've only ever payed once, and that's because I was an ignorant little girl who didn't know how to shake the principle's son."

"The principle's son? When—"

"I'll tell you later. Climb through that window."

"You put that stick there earlier, didn't you?"

"No you're catching on. Go, before someone sees us." They each crawled up the tree and onto the edge of the outstretched branch. Scottie peered through the window into the bathroom, then singled to Eden to move in. "No boys, we're clear."

"This is the boy's bathroom?"

"Yeah, but it's fine, they're all gone, or in stalls, but either way..." Eden shook off her surprise and crawled through the window, letting herself drop to the floor seven feet below. They ran out to the gym to grab front row seats, the better to see Steve. As they entered the gym, they saw two girls walking towards the only seats left in the front, right next to their other friends, Lola and Vivian, so they bolted for the chairs and slid into them right before the girls reached the same spot. "Booyah!" Yelled Scottie as they sulked past, making their way to the top row of uncomfortable benches.

"Oh look, there's Steve!" Said Eden, pointing him out.

"Steve!" Scottie yelled, but he didn't hear her. She stood up on her chair and yelled, "Steeeeve!" waving her arms. He looked over at them and his face broke into a grin immediately. He waved back.

"That's one way to do it," said Eden, smiling and trying to hold back a laugh.

"Wait," Lola froze. "Is this? It is!"

"Oh my gosh, you're right! This is Uptown Girl! I love this song!" Said Scottie and Eden.

"SHE'LL SEE I'M NOT SO TOUGH, JUST BECAUSE I'M IN LOVE WITH AN UPTOWN GIRL!" They were screaming the lyrics at the top of their lungs and when they couldn't take it anymore, they stood up and starting dancing in front of their seats. Vivian was laughing and shaking her head.

"I don't know you guys. What are you doing?"

"Having fun!" They shouted back at her. The DJ finished out the song (they were sure he did it just for them), before the announcer came over the loudspeaker, proclaiming the start of the game and end of the season.