The Third Date

"So what did you kiddos do after practice yesterday?"

"We went to Skull Rock."

"Oh? Just you four?"

"Yeah, but we met two guys, Ronnie and Corbin, who ended up playing with us," Scottie told her mom over breakfast.

"Sounds like fun," she laughed.

"Oh it was! Did you ever do that stuff when you were a kid?"

"We did similar things, but it was always kept secret from the parents. And boys never knew they were the topic of all the girls' conversations."

"So not too different from nowadays."

"No, but there were other things we did that I can't tell you."

"Why not?"

"A mom's gotta have her secrets, I can't be responsible for all your mischief. Where are you going today?" She asked, as Scottie hurriedly finished her breakfast.
"I'm going out with Steve."

"Has he seen your hair yet?"

"No, I can't wait to see his face!" Her choppy hair was sticking up all over the place from sleeping on it weird, and she was still in her bare face and PJs. "I gotta go get ready. Are you going anywhere, mom?"

"Actually yes, I'm going to visit your dad at work."

"Oh that's gonna be so fun! Tell him hi for me, and don't tell him about my hair!"

Scottie picked out jean shorts, a black sleeveless T-shirt and her usual boots before going into the bathroom to apply eyeliner and style her hair. There really wasn't much she could do to it, but she put some gel in and then spiked it up so it looked intentionally messy rather than bed head.

"Anything, mom, before I go?" She asked an hour later.

"No, have fun sweetie! And drive safe."

"I will. Love you mom."

Before she went to meet up with Steve, Scottie stopped by the beauty salon and picked up some hair materials, because if it was going to be short, it was going to bleached, but she'd have to wait til next week to do it, because she was fully booked over the weekend. Then she hopped back in Elvis (her truck) and drove to the arcade to meet Steve. She wanted to walk in and surprise Steve with a big entrance, but unfortunately, she never even got as far as the door before,

"Scottie?" She stopped in the street and turned to see Steve starting at her from the parking lot.

"Steve!" She said as she ran towards him, smiling. "So, what do you think?" She gave him a spin.

"Of your hair?"

"Yeah! Do you like it?"

"Is that what you did at Skull Rock? Was this your idea?"

"No, but I mean, I was fine with it. What's the matter?"

"What else did Ronnie do to you? Did you lose your virginity too?"

"What?! No, of course not! Steve, how did you—"

"How did I find out? Cause you were gonna hide it from me? Ronnie is in one of my classes and he mentioned how lucky I was to be dating you, cause you wouldn't go out with him."

"Oh no. Steve, please let me explain."

"What is there to explain? You cheated on me with him, you wouldn't let me come. Do you know how long I've been watching you? How long I've wanted to ask you out? And when I finally got up the courage to ask you, when I thought you actually liked me back, you turn around make out with a random guy!"