The Second Date

"No no no! Mom, how could this happen?!"

"Honey, it's okay. Just call him and tell him what happened."

"But I can't be sick! I'll just go through with it, I can't cancel an hour before. This is only our second date; what kind of person am I?"

"Sweetie, there's nothing you can do. You have the flu, you're too sick to go out."

"I thought I would be okay, but..."

"I know." Mrs. Clermont held Scottie close and hugged her, knowing the best remedy would be to just be there with her. "Go lie down and I'll sort things out with Steve. I'm sure he'll understand." Scottie's mom helped her to her room where she was situated with many blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals, then she left to call Steve. About 15 minutes later, while Scottie was still crying, there came a knock on the door as her mom peeked in. "Sweetie, there's someone here to see you."

"Steve!"

"Hey," he said, as he moved to sit next to Scottie. "I heard you were heartbroken over missing my company, so I thought I'd bring our date to you."

"You're so sweet," she replied, smiling weakly.

"Here's some food and juice for you, honey," said Mrs. Clermont, coming in with soup and OJ. "Steve, make sure she eats."

"I will, Mrs. Clermont."

"Mom, thank you so much."

"Of course," she smiled, and left Steve to take care of Scottie.

"So, tell me," he said, once he had passed the juice to his little invalid, "why are there so many stuffed animals?"

"Because I need to have company at night."

"Are you afraid of the dark?"

"No, but they're my friends. Eeyore is my best friend, then it's Francis Narman, and—"

"I'm sorry, Francis Narman?"

"Yeah, he's my Narwhal."

"Just as I suspected." She took him through a list of all of her stuffed animals, and Steve smiled the whole time, loving that he could be here with her and share in the joys of the little things. After about half an hour, he insisted she eat something, even though she said she wasn't hungry. "Here comes the airplane," he said, flying the spoon of soup towards her mouth. Scottie played along and excitedly swallowed it. Then they both started laughing.

"That's actually really good, I didn't think I was hungry. Gimme that," she said, snatching the bowl.

"Told you so."

"Tell me a story?"

"About what?"

"A sailor."

"Okay, I can't promise it will be anything special, but here goes—

Once Upon a Time,

There was a young sailor who dreamed of only one thing: not money, or kingdom, or magic, but of Love. He dreamed to have the baker's daughter as his own, for ever since the first day he laid eyes on her at the dock, his heart had been hers. Although he was a poor sailor with not much to offer except the good he transported to and fro each day, he would stop by the bakery every evening and buy a slice of bread just so he could see her fair face. One day, he decided to ask the little lady out for a humble dinner, but when he stepped into the bakery she was no where to be found. "Pardon me, kind sir. Might I inquire as to where your lovely daughter is?" The baker replied in his gruff voice, which did not suit his kind eyes, "She is off with the prince who came to seek her hand a couple nights ago. She said she would attend him at dinner, but nothing more just yet. If you ask me, she was waiting for someone else to ask. You have my blessing, and I hope it all goes well for you." Then he turned back to his bread-making, giving the sailor a wink, who darted from the shop to go shoot his shot. 'Where would a prince take a beautiful girl to sup?" He thought to himself as he searched the town over. Then it came to him and he ran to the palace gardens, hoping he was not too late. "Please let me through," he said to the guards. "I must find my true love, who resides in your flowers." "She is not here for you, you must wait until the prince is through." "But then it will be too late." "Too bad for you." So the sailor skulked away, but his mind was not done, so he concocted a plan to save her from the King's son. He dressed up in different attire and delivered a telegram to distract the young prince. "My sweet, I must go, this letter tells me my father, the King, is awaiting me at the docks on this eve." Once he had left, the sailor climbed the high stone wall and called, "Sweet Juliet, do you hear my cry?" "I do! I've been waiting, I knew you'd soon arrive." He swept her away to his boat far below where they used the prince's money and clothes to fund their trip across the seas. Once they were married they sent money back home to her sweet old father, who joined them at their darling home in the trees. They had many children and cared for every one, because a true home is one where love is born. The End."

When he finished, Scottie was asleep with her head resting on his chest. He stroked her hair and gave her a gentle kiss on the forehead.

"I'm so glad you're mine," he whispered. "I love you too much to ever let you go."