01

Kaia walked in the door to her dorm room and plopped down on her bed.

"UGHHHHHHH!" I screamed into my pillow.

Today had been the longest day of my life. Between going to 3 classes and working at Leann's Lounge , I was all burnt out.

Why did I pick up that extra shift?

"Hey K!" Nala yelled, as she bursted into the room.

I sat up on the bed to face my best friend.

"Hey Nala."

Nala walked over to her side of the room and sat on the bed.

"Long day at Leann's?"

"You don't even know the HALF of it!" I shook my head.

Nala and I have been best friends since the 6th grade. Even when nobody else liked her, Nala and I were friends. That's why when we both got accepted to UCLA we decided we would be roommates every year.

"Well I just came back to pick up some clothes and I'm going to spend the night in Jonathan's dorm."

I watched as my best friend packed a big bag.

I knew Jonathan wasn't the best for Nala, but she wouldn't allow anyone to tell her anything, and when they were good, they were really good. I just want her to be happy.

After Nala packed her bag, she gave me a hug and walked out the room. I had the room to myself at least once a week, so this was nothing new to me. I decided that I would order pizza and curl up on my beanbag chair to binge watch The Chi. I needed to relax, and being alone on a Friday night , with a box of pizza was just the way to do it.

BEEP BEEEP BEEPPPPPPP

My alarmed blared and scared me out of my sleep. I didn't wanna get up, but the SGA was hosting a get together on the yard today, to get people excited about midterms. As the best friend of the sophomore president, it was mandatory for me to be there. I wanted to lay back down in my bed, but it was already 11 am. That gives me an hour and a half to get ready.

I took a shower and washed my face. It was going to be 85° today so I had to prepare for the heat. I threw on my pastel pink cami and my black jean shorts. I slicked down my hair into a low bun and sprayed my strawberry pound cake perfume. As I grabbed my purse to walk out to the yard, someone knocked on the door.

I rushed over to the door and looked out the peephole. It was my RA...

"Hi Michelle?" I said as I opened the door.

"Heyy Kaia, I was just coming to let you know that the previously vacant dorm across the hall is now being occupied, so if you here any bumping, it's just him moving in."

"Him?" I thought. "I know this is a Coed dorm, but I never thought they'd actually put a boy on this hall..."

"Kaia? KAIA?!"

I had zoned out for a little bit.

"Sorry, what did you say?"

"I asked if you knew where Nala is..." Michelle rolled her eyes.

"Oh, she should be out on the yard already. You know vice president duties." I shrugged.

"Well tell her to come see me after the event, I need to talk to her about her recent request." Michelle said as she walked back to her office.

I turned around and grabbed my keys. If I wanted to make it to the yard on time, I would have to leave now.

"Hey Jordan!" I smiled, giving my childhood friend a big hug.

Jordan and I have known each other since preschool. All throughout middle and high school our parents tried to push us together. He and I both knew that was never gonna happen.

"Where's Nala?" I asked.

"She should be talking to the people by the music stand, our DJ canceled on her last minute." Jordan shook his head.

I said bye to Jordan, and started to make my way over to the music stand. I feel bad because I know how much the success of this event means to Nala.

"Kaia!" Nala shouted, as she saw me coming towards her.

"Hey! Just so you know Mic"-

"K, I need you to send me your playlist right now! The DJ canceled, so now we have to use bluetooth, and I KNOW y'all don't wanna listen to Taylor Swift all day!"

"Well hello to you too Nala!" I laughed " I'll send you the playlist, but Michelle said to stop by her office when the event is over so she can talk to you about some request you made?"

"Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, send me the playlist!"

"Okay okay!" I pulled out my phone and sent over my apple music playlist. Soon after Ransom by A Boogie wit da Hoodie was blasting from the speakers.

Soon more people started to come out. The yard started to get crowded. I decided I was gonna walk around and check out all the cool tables that each club had set up.

After a while, I started to feel like someone was watching me. I looked around and didn't see anyone looking in my direction at first, but then I saw him. A tall, handsome, brown-skin man was standing by a tree just staring. He was wearing a tan long sleeved shirt, that seemed to hug his muscles just right, and a black pair of jeans that showed off his shoes perfectly. His outfit was simple, but it still seemed like he was the best dressed at the event.

"He has to be hot." I thought.

The pretty stranger walked away with a book in his hand.

I silently wondered what he was reading.

Most of the guys on campus don't read at all and party all night, while their girlfriends are cooped up in their dorms doing their homework.