3. Moi Tselai

Kaz had managed to pick the lock on the metal door letting Winnie walk into a large warehouse room covered with glass bottles. Each one was filled with a different coloured liquid.

In the centre was a table of chemical equipment. Clearly in use as there was smoke coming out of some of the glass jars.

There was a small bed pushed in one of the far corners with a few ragged clothes strewn across it.

As the two criminals walked around the dimly lit room, it became evident that the occupant wasn't present.

"When he arrives, let me do the talking", Winnie said as she stood by the desk, looking closely at the bubbling mixtures.

"I'm the one hiring him. It makes more sense if I do", Kaz replied as he limped over to the opposite side of the desk.

"He will be more likely to join onto your little parade if I ask. Besides, I am the one who hired him first."

"Always making things a competition, Marth."

"Everything in Ketterdam is a competition, Brekker."

Suddenly, the sound of a door opening caused them both to quietly retreat behind a wooden rack filled with bottled creations.

Winnie watched as a young-looking boy walked down the steps opposite them and took off his brown satchel.

He had uneven brown hair and wore a brown jacket over a blue waistcoat. All his clothes were fairly dirty and well-worn. A result of his living conditions and current lifestyle.

Once Winnie was satisfied that he was the only one who had walked into the warehouse, she silently stepped out from behind the rack with Kaz following a step behind.

"Wylan", she called out.

The boy turned on his heel quickly to face her, clearly startled by her voice thinking he was alone.

"You're alive", Wylan said as he glanced between his two employers.

"Did you expect otherwise?" Winnie said as she walked towards him with Kaz heading back towards the chemistry table.

"Well, that is what everyone is saying but no ... not really", Wylan said as Winnie got closer and pulled him into a small hug.

"I am glad you're safe", he added as he returned the hug.

"Well, our current safety is up for debate", Winnie replied, pulling away from the small boy.

"The stadwatch are after you two", Wylan pointed out.

"How much phosphorous did you pack into that flash bomb?" Kaz asked from behind them.

Winnie turned her head with confusion.

"What bomb?"

"An escape option against the Darkling", Kaz answered.

"Did you need it? Was it enough?" Wylan asked.

Kaz looked down at the experiments on the table Wylan was conducting.

"No. He didn't need it. He had another escape option", Winnie said as she walked around the desk to Kaz's side.

"What?" Wylan asked.

"Me."

"Right. Of course. You're ... um, shadowy things", Wylan said as he moved his hands around.

Winnie narrowed her eyes and tilted her head whilst Kaz gave Wylan a brief glance.

"I need you to make a new package for me", Kaz commanded.