16. I Want What Is Real

Winnie was no longer in the antechamber at Ohval's house.

She was in a different room.

One that was calming, familiar.

She could hear the faint crackling of a lit fireplace.

As she took in her surroundings, she heard a soft voice speak to her.

"For once, don't disappear. Just stay."

Winnie let her eyes fall onto Kaz Brekker standing in the centre of the room by the fireplace.

He was dressed in his usual black suit and gold patterned waistcoat, but he had discarded his long black coat.

Winnie slowly approached him. Her heart was beating slowly in her chest as she looked in his eyes.

They were looking back at her in a way she wasn't familiar with.

A way she didn't recognise.

She soon found herself standing just half a step away from him, neither one of them breaking their gaze.

Kaz lifted his right gloved hand to the side of her head and reached behind her ear, pulling the piece of black hair forward and resting it over her shoulder.

Winnie watched him carefully as he repeated his gentle action with the other piece of her black hair on the other side of her head.

Once he had rested both pieces of hair into his view he looked back into her eyes once more.

What is he thinking?

What is he feeling?

Out of the bottom of her vision she saw him bring his hands slowly upwards ever so slightly before he took off the glove on his right hand.

Winnie glanced her eyes downwards as Kaz's own eyes stayed on her.

He moved onto the glove on his left hand and once they were both removed, he reached over and placed them on the mantle just above the fireplace on Winnie's right.

Winnie met his eyes once more, scanning for the familiar uncomfortable flinch he would show every time she stood so close to him.

But it wasn't there.

He was completely calm, entirely focused on her.

His armour finally placed aside.

Kaz shifted his eyes down to his right hand.

"May I?" he asked softly.

Winnie followed his gaze to see his hand was hovering just in front of her left hip.

"Yes", she whispered.

His eyes met hers once more, searching for any sign of discomfort.

But there was none for him to find.

Winnie felt his hand slowly snake around her left hip before settling on her lower back.

He used the position of his hand to pull her into him, closing the small gap that was left between them.

The gap that had always been in the way.

Winnie's own hands were now placed on his chest, his face mere inches from hers.

She could feel the warmth of his body on hers, his arm and hand firmly wrapped around her as if he wouldn't allow anything to break them apart.

Their eyes hadn't parted.

Winnie felt his free hand rest over the top of her right hand.

The feel of his skin on hers sent a wave of warmness through her entire body.