19. Mace

Wysteria Kirigan had spent another painfully long week of uneventful training without speaking a word to anyone that wasn't a guard or her father.

Not dissimilar to the multitude of other weeks she had lived through.

She was sat on a small tendril of shadows she had summoned, lifting her upwards to the roof of her room, painting the stars she had seen the other night.

Their beauty was something that completely entranced the young shadow summoner, and ever since her father saw them as a distraction to her, he had blocked them from her view.

But she remembered how her mother would tell her to make the most of any bad situation.

If she couldn't see the stars directly, she would find a way.

And it wasn't as if she had limited time.

She spent every second of every day sat in her room when she wasn't forced to train.

Alone.

"They're beautiful."

A voice snapped Wysteria out of her focus on her painting and thus her summoning making her fall to the floor, her paint splattered all over her lilac clothes and in her platinum-blonde hair.

"Saints! I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you", the same voice spoke as the shadow summoner tried to pick herself up from the floor.

Suddenly, one hand was on her right arm with the other wrapped around her waist, helping her off the ground.

Wysteria lifted her eyes to stare into two blue pools staring back at her with concern.

A boy.

Around her age, maybe slightly older.

He had spurts of jet-black hair falling out underneath one of the hats the guards had to wear.

"You're a bit young to be a guard", Wysteria said as she pulled herself away from his soft grasp.

"I'm in training. I was just being given the tour, but I got extremely bored listening to the oaf trailing me around, so I took myself on a little field trip", the boy replied.

"Well, you're not supposed to be in here, whatever your name is", the girl said as she walked past him to look in her mirror, trying to scrape the paint from her hair.

"Mace", the boy replied.

Wysteria turned around to see him glancing at her.

"I'm assuming you already know who I am."

"You're the General's daughter, judging by the seat of shadows you were perched on just now."

"Yes, and rather comfortably before I was rudely interrupted."

"My greatest apologies, your highness", the boy said with a small chuckle.

Wysteria hadn't ever met someone of her age before.

And currently, she was thankful for that fact.

This boy was being way too cheeky for a palace guard.

"I've been asked to be a messenger for you, by the way. Meaning we should probably get to know one another", Mace added as he perched on her chest of drawers.

"A messenger? But I already have those."

"Your father thought it may be a good idea to have one closer to your age."

"Why?"

"Isn't it boring to be locked in here all the time? Instead of asking questions you should be thankful that I'm now hired as one of your personal guards", the boy said with a smirk.