5. I'm Sorry

Night fell over the streets of Ketterdam to conceal the events that were about to take place.

The shadow summoner had noticed how Kaz never seemed to be startled at her sudden appearances like the rest of the group.

Every time she would jump out of her shadows the boy seemed to stay still as if he already knew she was there.

But Kaz Brekker was the one person Winnie Marth loved to see flinch.

It had taken her a few weeks since their initial meeting to really figure out what buttons to press in order to achieve certain levels of annoyance in the Bastard of the Barrel.

Being able to use her shadows to sneak around and make him jump would certainly be something she would love to use against him.

So as she made her way up to the roof of Wylan's warehouse to fill Kaz in on the information her and Inej had gathered about the accountants building, she hid silently in her shadows.

Kaz was standing at the edge of the roof, looking out onto the streets.

His cane was out of sight and so Winnie knew he was holding it in front of himself, both hands rested on the crow-head that decorated the top.

The darkness of the night sky allowed her to snake her way closer to him without a sound.

She moved past a wire with laundry hanging on it and was a mere ten steps from Kaz Brekker, if that.

Winnie smirked, prepared to see Kaz finally get spooked by her sudden presence but as she was about to reveal herself something unexpected happened.

"What did you find?" Kaz asked, his back still turned to her.

Winnie narrowed her eyes and slipped out of her dark shadowy surroundings.

"There's a doorman even after hours, and a pair of roving guards in the halls. But Inej and I can get you in through a window if Nina watches the front", she explained.

"If this goes sideways, tell the others to regroup at Black Veil. Get Inej and the heartrender. We leave in ten", Kaz demanded.

"No", Winnie said confidently.

Kaz slowly turned around to face her, slight shock at her disobedience.

"Not until you tell me what happened between you and Pekka", she added.

"All you need to know is that I have a reason", he replied as he faced back towards the Ketterdam skyline.

"So do I. I have a reason. A good one. And you know what that reason is. But somehow you hate Pekka just as much as I do. Did he have you under his control once before? Beat you until you begged for death? Let his men do whatever they wanted to you whilst not even batting an eye?" she started.

"Your reason and mine are different. It is the fact we both have one at all that links us together on this. To get the job done. To watch him fall", Kaz replied.

Winnie walked closer to the mysterious boy she longed to crack open and fully understand.

"There's enough secrecy in this crew as is", she started.

"Secrecy is the only way to survive the Barrel, Marth. Out of every Barrel rat that crawls these streets you should know that better than anyone."

"So keeping me in the dark is about survival?"

"Now you're getting it."

"Hmm. My survival or yours?" the shadow summoner said as she stopped just a step away behind Kaz.