6. My Shadow Summoner

Kaz was furious.

How dare she talk to him that way.

How dare she dangle him over a ledge.

How dare she force his hand yet again.

How dare she make him apologise.

How dare she look so attractive as she did all those things.

As he was held in her shadows, Kaz had briefly considered abandoning his entire plan to spend the evening with the shameless shadow summoner to teach her a lesson.

Just how he wanted to execute that lesson was up for debate.

Kaz couldn't seem to shake the vision of Winnie standing in front of him out of his mind as he rummaged through Henrik's office searching for the books containing the information on Pekka he needed.

The way her eyes and hair lit up under the moonlight.

The way her lips curled into a cheeky smirk.

The way her dark red corset hugged her figure perfectly.

The way her body and face contain not one flaw.

He was so distracted that he had failed to see the outline of another individual lurking in the dark corner of the office.

"Fine night, ain't it, Brekker?"

The voice that spoke was one Kaz recognised instantly and the last one he wanted to hear.

He looked up from the desk he had been searching in to see Pekka Rollins step into the light and turn on a gas lantern.

Outside the blurred glass of the door Kaz saw two men stand watch, blocking his exit.

"Burning the midnight oil, are we?" he asked, not moving from his position behind the desk.

"I thought I'd cut to the chase. You can't show your face at my clubs and my brothels to pull threads on me, so where would you go?" Pekka explained. "Step away from the desk."

"Why?" Kaz said staying perfectly still.

"I don't want blood on my furniture. My numbers man will bill me for it, and, well, you've already cost me enough money by blowing up my club."

"My club", Kaz said sternly as he walked around to the side of the desk.

"Hmm. Before I kill you, I want you to know that I bought in a madman to capture your shadow summoner. Sorry. My shadow summoner", Pekka retaliated.

Kaz looked to his right to see a masked man scaling the wall outside the window he had entered through.

Winnie.

"Yeah, I know she's alive. And it looks like I'll get a two for one deal as he'll take your Wraith down, too. Oh, look at that. I've done it again. I mean my Wraith", Pekka said as Kaz kept his gaze on the window.

His mind was racing.

She's in danger. 

Stay focused.

She can handle herself.

So can Inej.

They have each other.

"I've fixed up the cellar at the Menagerie, got the best shackles that money can buy. I'm sure my Wraith won't be able to squirm her way out of those. But as for Miss Marth, I'm still undecided as to what I should do with her", Pekka started as Kaz turned his focus back to the gang leader.