thirtyone.

The door slammed closed behind me, but I stayed seated in the chair in front of the desk

The door slammed closed behind me, but I stayed seated in the chair in front of the desk. My arms crossed and eyes glaring at the ground.

His heavy footsteps beat against the ground as he rounded his desk. He was staring me down, I just knew it, as he leaned with both palms on his desk.

"Well," Remus started, "Do you wish to explain yourself, Elizabeth?"

I didn't answer—I hated his disappointed tone. I hated how he sounded so worried.

"I just spent the entire morning pleading your case to the Headmaster and your House Leader. The De Gaulle family are respected members of the Ministry, Elizabeth, they are calling for your immediate expulsion!"

"She's fine," I argued in disbelief. "All I did was throw a book at her...twice."

"You broke her nose. She is in the infirmary, as we speak, trying to get it fixed," He corrected in a sharp tone.

"But Uncle Moony, you didn't hear what she said about Harry—"

"It doesn't matter what she said about Harry." Remus held up a finger to stop me, and my mouth shut. I looked at him pleadingly. He was having none of it. "This is out of my hands, you understand that, don't you? I tried to help you, but Dumbledore is furious."

"Dumbledore's been out for me since I stepped foot into Hogwarts!" I snapped back. I stood up from the chair, wide-eyed and in disbelief. Remus stood straighter and pinched the bridge of his nose. "He hates me because of who I am—who my father is—"

"You don't know that," Remus tried to stop me.

"—No, I do, this is completely unfair! When Harry stopped Professor Quirrell as a first year, they threw a feast in his honor, branded him a hero who defeated the Dark Lord, and gave him the House Cup!" I laughed humorlessly. "But when I stopped the Basilisk and Tom from unleashing it into the school, what did I get to show for it? They kept it all a secret! I was isolated in my room for weeks, because Dumbledore thought I would be a threat!"

"Is that what this is?" Remus asked me, scowling at me. "You want a feast for throwing a book at a girl's face?"

"That's not what I—Urgh, you're not listening to me. No one ever listens to me!" A yell of frustration left me. As I flicked my clenched hands out, a red wave of magic dispersed out of me, knocking everything within three feet of me back.

I jumped in surprise at my own power, and Remus had to catch the desk from ramming into his legs. Even he was in shock at the rush of power that had expelled into the room.

When he looked at me with an unreadable expression, my heart shattered with guilt. "I'm sorry," I quickly apologized. My hands covering my mouth and heart, the latter was beginning to race faster and faster. The itching feeling under my skin made me want to scratch at every surface of my body. "Oh my...I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to, to scare you," I rushed out fast between gasps of breath.