Thieves, traps and talks

"It makes no sense that the Headmaster's office is hidden away behind a locked gargoyle!" Harry yelled fists clenched. "How the bloody hell are people supposed to reach him in an emergency if they can't even knock on his stupid door?"

"Language, Harry," Hermione absently chastised her friend. She tugged on his arm to pull him away from the recalcitrant stone guardian. "Though I do have to agree – Magicals seem rather short on common sense at times don't they? Come on. Neville you too. There's no point arguing with this thing. Let's go try talking to Professor McGonagall instead."

"Good idea, Hermione, she'll definitely help." Neville said nodding with confidence.

"Well, at least she'll probably be able to get in to talk to Dumbledore," Harry grumbled. He stopped fighting Hermione, casting a dark glance back at the gargoyle before turning and quickly stalking ahead of the other two. Their hurried pace had them knocking on McGonagall's office within only a few minutes.

The Deputy Headmistress blinked in surprise at the trio of students standing outside her door as she answered the knock door. "Yes? Mr.'s Potter and Longbottom, Miss Granger? It is quite close to curfew. How can I help you at this time of evening?"

"Professor we – " Hermione began but was cut off as Harry started speaking over her.

"Snape is going to try to steal the Philosopher's Stone!"

McGonagall blinked again. She turned to stare at each student in turn before twisting to Hermione. "Miss Granger, you…you believe this as well?"

"I know it seems far-fetched, Professor," Hermione said nodding, "but we are almost certain of it. Most of our evidence is hearsay and extrapolation but it is the only conclusion that makes any sense."

"I do not know how you three found out about the Stone," McGonagall sighed. "I assure you however that it is perfectly safe. Several different members of the staff have added their own unique protections and no one save the Headmaster has knowledge of the entire scheme. There is no need to worry."

Harry gave a low growl. 'Ignored yet again. How typical,' he thought.

"Please, Professor," Neville said quietly, "if we could at least speak with the Headmaster…"

"The Headmaster was called away to an emergency meeting at the Ministry. He left via broom and is unreachable for the next several hours." She frowned, thinking. 'Could it be possible? Would someone really be daring enough to attempt a theft in the middle of Hogwarts with dozens of adult wizards and witches right there? No, no one was that daring! Not for over a decade.'

"But – "

"Please, I understand your concerns but again, I assure you, the Stone is perfectly safe in Hogwarts and that Professor Snape has no intention to attempt a theft. If you still feel this strongly about it then we can discuss this in the morning when the Headmaster returns. For now, please return to your dormitory before curfew."

"But – " Hermione said.

"Hermione, forget it," Harry muttered. He grabbed her arm and started pulling her away. "Let's just go." Neville narrowed his eyes at Harry before nodding and hurrying along to follow.

"Alright, Harry, what gives?" Neville asked the other boy after they had moved far enough away to avoid being overheard.

"Yes, it's not like you to just give up like that, Harry," Hermione added with her brow drawn in worry.

"There's no way she's going to believe us. I'm telling Shiva instead. Should've gone to her first," Harry said hurrying towards the Ancient Runes classroom.