Boggarts, blowups and brooms

"Alright, class, in honor of the holiday today we will be going over how to deal with a boggart. After all, it is rather appropriate to be frightened on Halloween is it not?" Remus Lupin said with a soft chuckle as he stood in front of his classroom of Third Year students. Filch had discovered a boggart in one of the wardrobes the other day and rather than getting rid of it Remus had decided to use the opportunity for a teaching exercise. It did fit ever so nicely into the spirit of things after all.

Harry for his part just sighed and shook his head standing with his friends. Of them the group's reactions were mixed. Tracey seemed rather indifferent while Neville was exceedingly pale. Hermione rubbed a quick circle on Harry's back, knowing exactly what her best friend thought of on this day every year. Daphne also stood beside Harry flashing him a small smile of reassurance when no one was looking and leaning in. "Hey, at the very least you'll be able to laugh up a storm when we get to my turn."

Harry peered at her with interest but before he could ask anything Neville had his hand in the air. "Professor, when the boggart shifts…it doesn't umm, have the exact same powers as its new form does it?"

Remus shook his head in response. "The abilities are an echo at best. For example, if you were to fear a specific wizard," he paused and his eyes flicked towards Harry, "the boggart would not be able to launch actual spells at you, merely a fancy light show. If you were to fear a nundu, it's possible the breath would make you ill but it would not kill the entire population of the school." The classroom filled with the nervous laughter of the students at that. "A boggart does not aim to kill people who stumble across it. It merely wishes to frighten them into running for the hills, so to speak. Now if everyone will get in line please, we can get started. Remember, the incantation is riddikulus."

The class queued up and Harry's group slotted in. Neville got in line first followed by Tracey, Daphne, Hermione and finally Harry. Harry was still scowling slightly as the students started cycling through. He hoped that Professor Lupin would actually let him have his turn instead of cutting him off for fear that Voldemort would pop up in class. Voldy was frightening sure, but he was most certainly not Harry's deepest fear. Harry was honestly a little curious just how the boggart would choose to personify empty, abandoned, loneliness.

Busy trying to puzzle out how his fears might manifest, Harry almost missed Ron Weasley's gigantic spider; though when said spider started tap dancing he did finally start to pay attention. Ron moved off looking rather green as Neville stepped forward already pale. The tap dancing spider disappeared and was replaced by a basilisk filling up half the classroom. Neville has already brought his wand forward before the boggart had even finished forming and shouted, "Riddikulus!" The faux-basilisk hadn't even been able to start opening its eyes before it became a weaving paper construct of the type seen in parades with people walking underneath. Breathing a sigh of relief Neville stepped back. Harry slapped him on the back as he walked past giving him a thumbs up as well.

Tracey moved up and the parade basilisk twisted itself into a small ratty looking diary. Most of the class murmured, obviously curious, but her friends narrowed their eyes and watched her with concern. Tracey took a deep breath, gave out the incantation and the old, brown diary was suddenly bedazzled in addition to being covered in ribbons and hearts and pink paint. A smirk lit up the girl's face and she moved to the back of the classroom, Daphne giving her hand a soft squeeze on the way.

Harry was initially somewhat confused by Daphne's boggart. Why was Arnold Schwarzenegger her worst fear? Harry cocked his head as the muscle bound man took out his sunglasses and dropped them into place. Suddenly understanding Harry grinned and muttered, "Somebody didn't enjoy Terminator apparently." Hermione swatted his shoulder for that. Daphne shouted out her spell and in place of leather the T-800 was instead clothed in a frilly, pink ballerina outfit. Bursting out in laughter Harry found himself in complete agreement with Daphne's earlier statement about him enjoying her turn immensely.