01-reunion

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 01—𝘳𝘦𝘶𝘯𝘪𝘰𝘯

❛❛ 𝙆𝙚𝙚𝙥 𝙢𝙚 𝙞𝙣 𝙖 𝙙𝙖𝙮𝙙𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙢.
𝙆𝙚𝙚𝙥 𝙢𝙚 𝙜𝙤𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙨𝙩𝙧𝙤𝙣𝙜.

𝘴𝘶𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯

Keira jolted awake, shaking the last remnants of a nightmare off herself. She shivered, still feeling the whisper of death in the flesh on her neck. Fear was something she got used to throughout the years of her service and Keira was lucky enough to say she never let it affect her actions. Her facade remained calm, body steady, despite the dread creeping deep inside her soul.

A terrible headache ghosted her mind, making it difficult to fully come back to her senses and reasonable thinking. Her hands were in shackles, again, but she was moved to centre of the room, while a man she didn't know took her previous place, although chattering like nothing has happened. He was talking to another man who stood in front of her.

"Thank God, Keira, I was afraid you wouldn't wake up," he spoke and shifted his attention to her immediately when he noticed she was conscious, the tone and timbre familiar to her ears.

"Leon? Are you okay?"

"I should be asking this question. You got yourself a laceration," he pointed to his left temple, signalling Keira that she had dried blood on her own. She touched her skin and indeed, there was a small wound that already started healing. "What are you even doing here? They assigned us to the same mission?"

"I don't think it's the right time and place to explain all that fuss," she brushed his question off.

"So I see that you know this charming señorita! My name is Luis Serra, pleasure to meet you," the strange man waved to her, a confident smile on his face and a spark of amusement in his eyes.

"Keira Raegan. I would like to say 'likewise' but it's difficult in such circumstances," she smiled weakly and spoke to Leon again. "Now, do you have a brilliant plan how to get out that you'd like to share with me?"

"We can try to break that chain. It's hang under the ceiling," Leon pointed to the element he meant and waited for Keira's approval. He knew she probably felt still a bit dazed and weakened after she was, as he assumed, kidnapped and didn't want to overexert her while she was regaining her strength.

"Okay, sounds good. I can put my weight on it while you yank the chain. If we time it perfectly, it should let go after a couple times," the woman nodded her head, getting a better grip on the chain.

"Uh, I'm sorry to interrupt, but what about me? Any help for fellow prisoner?" Luis spoke from his corner, not attracting any attention from the two agents. He sighed deeply and began tugging his shackles, cursing in Spanish under his breath.

"Okay, jump on three. Ready?"

"Yeah."

"One. Two. Three," Leon counted and tugged the chain while Keira jumped on it, her feet hanging a few centimetres above the ground. She then quickly dropped it when she saw her friend's muscles tense as he visibly strained, still not back in his form after he was probably knocked out, too. "I can hear one of them outside. We gotta hurry."

"Yeah, exactly, so you can also free me!" Luis shouted, chuckling nervously.

"We will, just wait a second!" Keira yelled back. She didn't trust the man yet, although had some sympathy for him since he seemed relatively harmless and they were in the same boat, all in all.

The pair yanked the chain one more time and it let go, hitting the ground and grinding at the same moment when doors to their cell bursted open. Keira winced at both unpleasant sounds, suffering from a light headache.

A terrifying man came inside, smiling as if he waited for great entertainment. He drew an axe and the agent got an idea what he may have thought was good fun.

She quickly looked at Leon who winded excess chain on his forearm. Seeing that he had a plan for defeating the enemy, she let him act and prepared herself to aid him if he needed help.

Seeing that the enemy was going to attack Keira first, he hit him in the face, stunning for a few seconds that he used to twist the chain around his neck. The villager was unfazed by his actions, even when Leon and Keira started pulling the chain to choke the man. He kept swinging his arm, hoping that the blade of his weapon would touch either of the agents.

The enemy let out his last breath as Leon dragged the chain to the ground, effectively breaking the man's neck and crushing his trachea. Keira sighed deeply and grabbed the axe he dropped to cut Luis's bonds in three clean hits. The man was slightly shocked what was visible in his unclear expression of fear, relief and awe. Keira on the other hand was used to the sight of gore and knew what were Leon's capabilities when it came to fighting --- he was a pro, just like herself.

"You will hear from me soon. No man likes to live in a debt, plus, I'd love to meet you again," he winked to Keira and disappeared behind the rusty, creaking door.

"Hey, wait!" Leon yelled after him but the man was already gone.

"What do you want from him?" Keira asked, genuinely curious. Luis's presence confused her too.

"He mentioned Ashley, he must have known something about where they are keeping her."

"Then let's get our gear and find it out."

"Keira, you haven't answered my question. What happened to you, why are you here?" Leon asked, gently grabbing her arm to get her attention. Looking at her face and awaiting the answer, he took a quick glance at her laceration to make sure it hasn't opened during the fight.

"Nevermind it now, I'll tell you when we get out of this horrid place. It's no good spot for chatting, absolutely zero reviews and some rabid villagers running around."

"Yeah, I hate the rabid villagers."

Keira replaced the empty magazine in her Walther p99 with a full one, ready to fire all sixteen bullets. She was used to this gun in a way that one can be used to a fountainpen, each curve of the weapon carved into her memory and familiar for all senses, whether it was the smell of gunpowder or feeling of slight shaking of her arm muscles whenever it recoiled. The pattern on pistol's handle was a bit threadbare because of years of active usage although it fit her hand perfectly, as if it was crafted especially for her.

Keira attached the holster to her thigh, along with a sheath for military knife. She flipped it in the air and then caught in a sideways grip. She repeated the trick few times, waiting for Leon to rearrange his equipment.

"Are you done showing off?" He asked after organising his stuff.

Keira got fully focused on the swift movement of her knife and let her thoughts drift off, trying to process events of the past couple hours. Her hand worked with the knife in sync, she tossed it with enough force to make it spin exactly thrice. When the woman dazed off, she simply let her muscle memory do the trick. However as Leon spoke up, she almost slit her finger, catching the knife inches from her feet. He pretended he didn't see it happen.

"Yeah. Are you done packing for the trip of your life? How do you carry this entire suitcase around anyways?"

"It's called attaché case."

"So a French suitcase."

Leon just sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. He leaned on the doorframe to show Keira that he was ready to go and she quickly followed, sheathing her knife in the meantime.

"After you," he said, letting Keira through the door first. They walked through corridors together, side by side, ready to face the horrors waiting outside.

-------

It's the first time when I try to combine funny with serious in a fanfic that is based on a horror game. I'm still getting used to the gradient I have to use to make it coherent instead of chaotic so I'm open for any feedback, guys!

Fun fact:
The long dashes that I use for titles are actually coming from this emoji (⁠◠⁠‿⁠・⁠)⁠—⁠☆ and it cracks me up every time.