chapter 3 (rewrite)

She felt trapped in her body. Someone dragged her through the corridor, her hips and shoulders hit the rusty doorframes and left little bruises and scratches. Keira thought she heard a door open, but whether that was real or just a part of the dream, she didn't know.

~*~

Run.

The only word ringing in her bell like a fire alarm, loud and deafening to any sound coming from the outside. Arms extended to grab her, teeth clattered and bared at her sight. All noise was drawn out.

A bloodied hand reached to catch her by the shoulder. The infected turned her around to take a bite out of her neck before she stopped the man with a stab to the gut. She retrieved the combat knife and dodged to avoid being rammed by a turned woman.

Keira looked behind her back in terror.

What the fuck were those things?

She nearly tripped over a torso of a corpse lying in the middle of the road. A thick trail of blood led her sight to three creatures chewing on the lower half of the body. A teenager with bloodshot eyes. A paramedic who's lost a leg and half of the right arm. A man in a torn suit, three bullet holes gaping in his abdomen.

Those weren't people. Not anymore.

Keira gasped when the corpse let out a low growl and grabbed her ankle with its ice-cold hand. Without hesitation, she stomped on its elbow and shattered the joint, then ran away before more noticed her presence. She needed a hiding spot, right now.

The gun shop to her right was swarming with the creatures. They all pushed their mindless bodies in one direction, into the depths of the store, trying to break through the back door. It didn't take long for the hinges to give out and when they did, and the things started to make their way further, Keira heard several gunshots cut the air. She drew her pistol and reloaded, running towards the shop. There must've been survivors.

She couldn't see who was shooting, not when about seven turned people blocked her way. She fired her gun, headshot after headshot. Only one of them dropped dead immediately, the rest only seemed to turn their attention to her. Keira shot a few in their knees to slow them down and used a piece of metal railing laying on the ground as a makeshift weapon to finish them off.

Her black jeans covered in blood and brains, she manoeuvred between corpses and turned around a corner only to be met with a rifle aimed at her face.

"I mean no harm!" She quickly exclaimed, putting her hands up. The metal bar she's been holding clattered on the ground, and then she realised how the situation must've looked like from a third person's perspective. She was covered in blood, like she's just came back from a killing spree. Which, technically, she did. "I saw you shooting at them, and I wanted to help. I'm from FBI."

"Where are they when the city fucking needs them?" The man yelled, pointing at the dead bodies. One of them started moving, so he packed one more bullet into its skull. "What's going on here? When do you evacuate?"

"I- I don't know, I swear. I'm not here because of this," she shook her head. She felt tempted to lie to improve her situation a little and get that gun out of her face, but she was scared that she might as well earn a bullet for being shady. "Nobody outside knows what's happening here. They wouldn't have sent me if they did."

"Then call for support! We need to get outta here!" He lowered his weapon and took a quick glance at something behind him. Only then Keira saw a little girl shaking, clutching onto the man's shirt for dear life.

"I can't. Something's blocking the signal," she quickly explained. "Is this your daughter? I think she's injured."

"Stay away from her," he raised his rifle again. "And get out."