03-rejection

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 03—𝘳𝘦𝘫𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯

❛❛ 𝘼𝙣𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙫𝙞𝙨𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙥𝙡𝙖𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙞𝙣 𝙢𝙮 𝙗𝙧𝙖𝙞𝙣
𝙎𝙩𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙧𝙚𝙢𝙖𝙞𝙣𝙨

𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘴𝘪𝘭𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦

Although Keira has thought that the village was all cleared, new villagers kept coming in waves. They all had these mindless, purely rageful expressions on their faces what made her genuinely bewildered. She didn't have much contact with bioweapons since Raccoon City and one could have thought that she forgot what they could do to a human being.

This time Leon was shooting to the enemies from a roof and she fought them with hand-to-hand combat when they were weakened enough. It wasn't too hard as their movements were sloppy and slow when it came to fight in close distance, but not too easy as well because of the strong offensive actions, like throwing axes and explosives.

"I don't see any more of them! How are you holding up?" Leon shouted to Keira.

"Good! I think we should get going," she yelled back while collecting some loot lying around. She had ran out of handgun ammo in the middle of the battle and her military knife got severely damaged, so she hoped to see the merchant soon. "Looking sharp."

She picked up an axe and gently led her pointing finger along the blade. It looked durable and still intact, so Keira decided on keeping it. The woman placed it between the straps of her gun holster. It was definitely a makeshift storage, but it was fine as long as it worked.

"Joining their team?" Leon's voice came from behind so she turned around to face him. He looked at her newfound weapon with a smirk on his face.

"Yeah, sure. Such an amazing community, all that collective killing and stuff, it really makes people bond."

"That's what I though," he said with a small laugh. "I found an emblem on one of the roofs. It matches the gate's lock and should open it," Keira looked to where he was pointing and hummed in response.

"Let's go then."

Keira crouched and slowly moved forward to walk on the villager from behind. She could hear another one gnarring somewhere deeper into the garage, yet the raspy noises were quickly cut by what she assumed was a knife to the villager's throat. Her target looked around as if sensing that something was wrong and that's when an axe hit him in the neck. The agent attacked him again when the man began shaking on the ground, taught by her previous experience.

She met Leon outside of the building and gave him a thumbs up before walking towards a tall building looking much like a mansion. He followed her close and when they were near the house, he took the lead and opened screeching wooden door leading to a small foyer.

What has been left of the once lovely and welcoming interior then looked crooked and twisted in an ominous way. The tapestry was blanched, floor scratched and dirty, in a rich brown colour that Keira saw with difficulty through layers of dust and soil. The house felt like an ordinary abandoned building rather than anything that used to hold resemblance of home to anyone. There were some memorabilia scattered here and there, photographs standing forgotten on shelves and journals sinking into filth that covered furniture.

"Let's stay close," Leon whispered to her.

"I like that idea," she unholstered her pistol and held a torch in her other hand, keeping both of them crossed in wrists.

Leon opened one of the doors only to face a livid man who immediately went at him. Before Keira got into the right position enabling her to shoot the man and not harm her friend in the process, he already stabbed him in his stomach and shot in the head.

"Are you okay?" She approached Leon and gently touched his arm to check on him.

"Yeah, I'm okay," he nodded his head. "It's completely quied, I think it's clear now. Better to stay careful though."

"Always."

The house was indeed clear and it didn't took the pair long to go upstairs, search the open rooms and unlock one door with a crystal marble that had a strange symbol made of oxygen bubbles inside. It reminded Keira of many other similar insignia that she saw around in various places. It was almost like the villagers treated it with godly respect.

"What's that?" She asked Leon who stood by desk, reading some sort of a document.

"Village records. There was some real massacre here, mentions of starvation, sacrifices. This placed is all fucked up," he explained, browsing through a notebook before putting it where it laid before.

"Couldn't agree more," she replied while looking at multiple ornaments hang up on a wall. All of them represented the same symbol, a specific cross carved in wood.

"Hey, I got us a way out!" Leon exclaimed, gesturing Keira to follow him as he headed for the doors to leave the room.

He was quickly stopped by a strapping man that Keira had a faint memory of. She recognised him by torn edges of his brown leather cloak and eyes of two different colours that looked so lifeless that if it wasn't for the fact that the man was walking, Keira would assume that he was dead.

Keira got her gun ready and started shooting at him, Leon standing by her side and doing the same. Bullets sank into the stranger's body but he remained unshaken. He kicked the other agent in his chest and grabbed Keira by her shoulder to throw her across the room, almost knocking unconscious again.

He approached Leon while Keira tried to pull herself together despite her dislocated arm that hurt like hell. When she managed to stand up and looked at the fighting pair again, Leon was held in a chokehold and raised above the ground. At first she thought that he meant to throw him out of the window, yet he just looked at her companion for a few seconds.

"Your body accepted the gift," he said with a slight note of approval, staring deep into Leon's eyes that Keira thought darkened for a second.

The stranger wasn't paying much attention to her, so the woman used that to her advantage and slashed her axe through the back of his knee. He only grimaced and let go of Leon who dropped to his knees to catch quick and shallow breaths.

The man turned to face Keira and kicked her in her stomach. When she laid on the ground and coughed droplets of blood, he approached her and uplifted her upper body so he could examine her face.

"Oh, ungrateful child. You are the pest that has been rejected by the ultimate blessing."

------------------

Hi! This chapter is a bit rushed (I wrote it in 2 to 3 hours) but I like it!
I haven't edited it yet, but I hope there won't be many mistakes. If you see any, let me know in a comment and of course tell me your opinions on the chapter ;)