05-the beast

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 05—𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘵

❛❛ 𝙊𝙣𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙄 𝙘𝙖𝙣 𝙩𝙚𝙡𝙡 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙞𝙨 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙜𝙤𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙛𝙧𝙚𝙚

𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘵𝘰𝘨𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳

The sight of the ruined church and rotten wooden huts in the Fish Farm made Keira feel uneasy. She marched through them as quickly as she could, sparing her time on rummaging through many boxes and barrels that held ammo or money. Leon did that for her and passed her some of the resources while she climbed a small hill and watched the lake the pair had to cross.

It seemed dead just like its surroundings --- no gentle waves moved the surface in a calming rhythm, no storm formed the foam on its shore as a sign of element's rage and vivaciousness. It was quiet, still, as if completely marooned.

Keira changed her position to have a look at a small house that had its front supported on stakes. When she was about to pocket her binoculars, a sudden movement came to her attention. A small boat with two people inside was heading to the centre of the lake where it came to a halt. Two men grabbed something from the bottom of the boat, what Keira assumed was a bag, and threw it overboard. When it met the surface of water and floated, she saw how wrong she's been.

"I've met this cop," Leon said quietly, crouching next to her and borrowing her binoculars. "I couldn't do anything."

"I know. If you could, you would," she responded and gave him a weak smile that he hesitantly replied.

She stared at his profile for a few more seconds but tore her eyes away from Leon as she saw a blush appear on his neck.

The rumbling of an old engine made her look at the lake again, just as the people were gone and boat nowhere to be spotted. The corpse still floated, back facing the dull sun.

"Holy shit," Keira mumbled as a large creature emerged from the depths and swallowed the headless body whole. The sight of the monster made her shiver. It was a monster. Not a virus locked in a probe, not a terrorist. A living monster that crawled out of the strangest and scariest nightmares.

"Did you see that?" Leon asked her, closely watching her expression and looking for any signs of fear that he could help her ease. It sparked inside her like the beginning of an uncontrollable wildfire that she had to tame and snuff before it got to her mind.

"Even without the binocs," she replied sternly, getting a grip on herself.

The pair had found some fuel and much to Keira's surprise, it was still decent. Everything around looked old and deserted, the crumbling planks shining with a greenish hue of algae and the makeshift constructions that resembled fences and bridges. The fuel should have theoretically gone off too, yet Keira decided not to complain that something went according to the plan for once.

They've found one boat that remained intact. Leon funneled the fuel and switched on the engine, giving his partner a high five when it spluttered and the boat started moving towards the middle of the lake.

"What about the monster?" Keira whispered to him, watching the creasless surface of water.

"Let's hope we won't wake it up. It's definitely not feeding time," he replied quietly and smiled towards her.

Keira checked the mag of her gun and despite the fact that only four bullets were gone, she reloaded. The agent suspected that shots fired from a simple handgun wouldn't harm the beast much but having her pistol ready made her feel somewhat safer.

The engine suddenly went quiet and something hit the bottom of the boat. Leon and Keira exchanged looks before the monster shot up from the water right next to them, causing the boat to bank.

"You said something about feeding time?" Keira grabbed her friend's bicep to stabilise herself.

She had seen terrible things, things that wore disguise of normality to hide the degenerate nature underneath their masks. But most of all, she also got to face the true, blatant atrocities and the monster was one of them.

A shiver rippled through her body and Keira was genuinely surprised that the fear buried deep inside her found its way outside. Her lungs felt heavy and she coughed a couple times to get rid of the strange sensation. Blood stained her gloved hand and she began to understand that it wasn't the dread taking over, but some mysterious disease. The "blessing" that she rejected.

Keira shook off that thought and grabbed on of the harpoons laying on the bottom of the boat. The beast have gotten hold of the line attached to the boat that in consequence followed her movements, taking sharp turns and barely missing dead trunks of trees scattered across the lake. Harpoons thrown by the agent sunk deep into its body, yet it's taken dozens of them to finally kill the monster. Its blood stained the water around Leon and Keira.

The woman sat down on a small bench to calm down her breathing and tapped the seat next to her so Leon could rest as well. He approached her but suddenly fell on his knees and leaned on the side of the boat, coughing up blood. Keira immediately got up and put her arm on his back, giving him a few light pats. She kept him upright when he fell unconscious, afraid that he would choke on his blood.

The boat was sinking, soles of Keira's boots splashed in the water when she moved towards the engine and started it, taking both of them to the harbour.

-------------

Hey! Thanks for being patient with me and reading this chapter! In my defense, I was abroad for some time and I had so many things to do that I slept for like 4 hours daily. Fortunately being sleep deprived makes me productive :))