04-setback

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 04-𝘴𝘦𝘵𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬

❛❛ 𝙄'𝙫𝙚 𝙜𝙤𝙩 𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙢𝙮 𝙡𝙞𝙛𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙡𝙞𝙫𝙚, 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙄'𝙫𝙚 𝙜𝙤𝙩 𝙨𝙤 𝙢𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙜𝙞𝙫𝙚
𝘼𝙣𝙙 𝙄'𝙡𝙡 𝙨𝙪𝙧𝙫𝙞𝙫𝙚

𝘪 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘶𝘳𝘷𝘪𝘷𝘦

Keira Raegan didn't think she would ever get to live for so long.

She remembered how it was to meet death face to face. It had come after her in the form of decaying bodies, grabbing her own and pinning her to the floor to bite through her muscles, veins and arteries. It taunted her yet again, when in the city consumed by chaos and plague she could have died because of a bullet stuck in her chest. After so long, after all these horrors and the fight she endured, she was just one simple gunshot wound from dying in a train that guided her to the light of the outside world, far from the trauma and fear.

That's what she used to think back then.

The nightmare of Raccoon City visited her again. She felt the man's hand tighten around her throat slowly, as if he was cherishing the moment. She punched and she kicked but with an enemy that strong, it was pointless. Keira felt the seconds passing on her skin.

Maybe it was the lack of oxygen that made her panic, a natural mechanism that dulled her senses and reasonable thinking. Or maybe she was afraid of death more than she assumed.

Gunshots rang in the air, more and more quiet and the room looked darker. Before she even knew, Keira fell unconscious. Her mind was cut off from her body that dangled in the air and she was left in unawareness of what was going to happen next.

Leon fired one bullet after the other with an expression of absolute anger on his face that quickly started to transform into fear as Keira's movements became more sloppy and her face visibly reddened. He never missed, not wasted one single shot, yet the strange man didn't take his eyes off of the woman's, fully concentrated on the tension he put on her trachea.

Keira struggled once more before her motionless body was thrown on a dusty floor like a rag doll. She passed out but Leon could see her chest slowly moving up and down when she took small breaths.

For a second he thought that he's heard a different shot that hadn't come from his gun and that was able to distract the man enough to let go of the agent. Leon didn't have the chance to get a good look at the 'savior', but what he did manage to see was a glimpse of a red dress that looked weirdly familiar. If the last time Leon saw Ada wasn't six years ago, he would swear that he just saw the mercenary outside the window.

Keira stirred where she laid, grasping her throat but wincing shortly after because of the searing pain that came from areas on her skin that have already started to bruise.

"I shall waste no more time on you. You will soon suffocate on your own," the man said towards her before leaving the room.

"Are you okay? How can I help?" Leon ran up to Keira and sat on the floor next to her to help her sit before getting her on her feet.

"I don't...I can't...Fuck!" she spluttered and slammed her fist on the wooden desk that she steadied herself on. Any word she tried to say felt like a dagger moving down her throat.

"Hey, it's alright, it will pass," Leon comforted her and handed Keira one of his meds that she immediately took and thanked him with a nod. He saw her trying to stand up but stopped her by softly squeezing her hand. "Let's stay here for a few more seconds."

Keira protested and muttered something that sounded like "mission" and "handicap". As the stubborn person she's always been, she tried to get on her feet again only to lean on the desk and sigh.

"For real, Keira. Stop it for a minute and let yourself rest. You could have just died!"

"I was never going to survive this anyway," she croaked out and wiped away the beads of sweat forming on her forehead.

"What do you mean?"

"You didn't know I was taken, there was no rescue mission for me. Think about it, why wouldn't anyone tell you?" She asked and watched Leon's face freeze for a second when a realisation came upon him. "Because I'm a distraction, a setback. That's why we're stuck here now, that's why we're vulnerable," her voice trembled. "You need to go."

"Listen to me. I'm not going anywhere if you can't go too. We've never been on an official mission together but it's good to have a partner like you."

"Fine. I'll be there for you, in case any zombies fall from under the ceiling," Keira chuckled and let out a small cough. Her throat was still sore, although the medicine helped a lot.

"I won't hear the end of it, will I?" Leon asked and wrapped Keira's arm around his waist to help the agent keep her balance.

"You know the answer."

------------

Filler chapter! Get ready to meet the mutated axolotl in the next one!