Chapter 10

The present: Still the venue

Maahi had no idea where she was going. She just knew she had to get as far from him as humanly possible. So, she just kept walking, clutching her phone tightly in her hand.

She didn't remember searching for brother's number. All she could remember was her brother's voice in her ear.

"Haan bol."

She didn't say anything for a minute. That made her brother a little concerned obviously. Maahi wasn't the sort to waste time on a call.

"Kya hua be? What's with the maun vrat?"

She cleared her throat and said, "Uh..."

He asked, "Haan? Ek second ruk, video call karta hoon."

The next moment, he was looking at her rather blank expression staring back at him.

"Kaunsa bhoot dekh liya hai bhai tumne?"

"Um..." She mumbled intelligently.

"Maahi. Bata na yaar!" He tried to coax her sibling-style.

She ran a hand through her hair and said, "Aarush is here."

Abhi's eyes widened instantly at the mention of that name. He stopped pacing and sat down in one place. He then came straight to the point and asked, "Ab?"

She shrugged.

"What's the plan, Maahi?"

She chewed the inside of cheek and looked about for a few minutes, just trying to absorb the whole thing. Abhi sat patiently, waiting for her. She then took a deep breath, squared her shoulders and said, "Ab nothing. I continue my work as planned and come back."

Abhi raised an eyebrow. His sister's sudden change in demeanour was not shocking to him. He'd seen her embrace the practical side of things rather early, often times in life. But he still wanted to make sure she was alright.

So, he asked, "And what about Aarush?"

She replied, hoping her dream actually came true, "It'll be fine. I don't think he'll remember me anyway. It's been years after all. Anyway, don't worry, okay? I just needed...to process it. I'm fine. It's all good."

Author's Note: Tbh, feeling bad for our girl here. :P

But it's only the beginning lol.