Chapter 21

The present

Unknown number: I was thinking...

Unknown number: Sorry, I forgot to mention. This is Aarush here.

Unknown number: So, I was thinking...

Maahi: Iyer.

Maahi: It's 7 in the morning.

Maahi: Why are you awake? Why are you texting? Why are you texting me of all people? And where did you get this number?

Aarush: Lol, I'm guessing you're not a morning person?

Maahi: Ugh.

Aarush: 😂

Aarush: Why are you awake then?

Maahi: Work.

Aarush: Lies. I'm an integral part of this wedding and I was not invited to any occasion this early in the morning.

Maahi: I have more than one project, Iyer.

Aarush: Right, that makes sense.

Aarush: Anyway, you didn't ask me what I was thinking.

Maahi: ...

Aarush: Our backyard!

Maahi: Iyer, it's too early in the morning for such cryptic messages. Just text in whole sentences.

Aarush: Lol, I meant we should get our first picture taken there. After all, we share joint custody. And it's so pretty! Perfect backdrop.

Maahi: ...

Aarush: Is that a yes?

Maahi: Do you have an iron?

Aarush: What?

Maahi: Do you?

Aarush: Yeah...I'm afraid to ask why you want to know though.

Maahi: 😂

Maahi: I need to borrow it to iron a kurta. I forgot mine and the resort doesn't have one in the cabin. You're safe, don't worry.

Aarush: Oh.

Maahi: Is that a no?

Aarush: No, no. Come over.

Maahi: I'll come closer to the reception time. Late afternoon-ish. After work. Is that alright?

Aarush: Yeah, I'll be picture-ready then.

Maahi: *rolls eyes*

Maahi shook her head and kept her phone aside, a smile unknowingly appearing on her face. She picked up her laptop and continued to work. But she didn't realize how sleepy she was because she fell asleep with her laptop on her lap. When she awoke, she didn't know where she was. She shut her mouth and blearily peered at her phone, switching it on. The screen opened up her chat with Aarush. She then looked up at the clock and saw that it was 4 already. She smacked her forehead and rushed to take a shower.

As soon as she got out, she pulled out her kurta from her bag. It was as crumpled as she predicted it would be. She then remembered her barter deal with Aarush. She wore a t-shirt and pyjamas and marched up to his door.

There was loud music playing from the other side of the door. Yeesh, how on earth did he get anything done with music this loud? She shook her head and knocked. No response. She tried again. Again, no response. She pulled out her phone from her pocket and called him. No response again. So, she gave up and raised her voice while banging on his door, "IYER! OPEN THE DOOR, WILL YOU?"