Chapter 47

The present

Maybe it was a sign.

Aarush: Mehra, I have a show in the city. You'll come?

Maahi: When?

Aarush: Tomorrow. And stay back after?

Maahi: I have plans :/

Maahi: I'll try catching the next one. Sorry.

Aarush: Oh. Okay. I'll see you another time then, I guess?

Maahi: Yep.

Maahi had begun distancing herself from him. He could sense it. And he couldn't figure out why. He was afraid it was a sign for him to give up and move on again. But he just didn't want to.

Not yet.

So that day, after the show, he asked to be dropped outside of her apartment lane. He made his way to her building, trying to figure what he would say to her. Just as her building came into view, he spotted her. Only she wasn't alone.

Aarush squinted and saw her smile. It was a small smile but one that lit up her face. It made him smile too. But then he started to realize what he was witnessing.

She was on a date.

The guy she was with said something that made her laugh. Aarush unknowingly closed his eyes, unable to watch further. But he did open them again. Maahi was now in the guy's arms, her head cradled snugly on his shoulder.

It was like a rock being thrown into a calm river. It was a small gesture but it created several ripples in his heart. He stepped away, trying hard to put distance between himself and her new world, but he crashed into someone behind him in the process. He turned around and saw Abhinay standing there with a puppy in his arms.

"You okay man?"

Aarush nodded faintly and looked at the pup and back at him. He said, "Fine, fine. I...see you later."

He tried to dart away quickly when he heard his name. He turned around resignedly and saw Abhi staring at his sister from a distance. He mumbled something and held the bridge of his nose in irritation. He let out a deep breath as though he was steeling himself to say something important. All the while, the pup kept trying to get out of his arms. He readjusted him in his arms and walked over to Aarush.

Abhi handed the dog over to Aarush and said, "First of all, I think Sunny wants to catch up with you, so here."

Aarush took Sunny and raised him to eye-level. The little golden ball let out a bark and stuck his tongue out, wiggling to get near him. Aarush smiled, unable to resist the pup's charms and cradled him in his arms.

"You named him Sunny?"

"Maahi did. Dadaji loved it."

"Shucks. I loved Pyaarelal as a name."

Abhi laughed and said, "You'll learn to love Sunny too, trust me. Now, where were you going?"

Aarush tickled Sunny's belly and said, "Home."

Abhi again got a look of frustration on his face. After a moment of deliberation, he said resolutely, "No."

"No?"

"Nope."

Abhi pointed at the gate and said, "Go talk to her."

Aarush frowned at Abhi. What was he talking about? And what did he know?

"What? And say what?" He asked

Abhi threw his hands up in irritation and said, "I don't know man. Just go."

"She's on a date. I'm not going to go barging in."

Abhi plucked Sunny from Aarush's arms and said, "That date is over. Just trust me and go."

Aarush just stood there with a confused expression on his face. Abhi said, "Oh for heaven's sake! Just...Just..."

He seemed to be having trouble saying the next bit. He looked down in search of words. He then brightened and looked up at Aarush to say, "Ask her where she got that watch she always wears."

Aarush looked up, now in complete and utter puzzlement and asked, "Sorry?"

Abhi took a step back and said, "You'll be thanking me. I'm telling you. Just ask."

Aarush had no idea what was happening.

"What watch? Abhi, where are you going? Come back!" Aarush called out as he saw Abhi almost jog away.

Abhi turned around and shouted, "Just do it!" before running away.