Chapter 36

The present: Maahi's workplace

Maahi was sitting staring at the screen intently. She stretched her back and checked the time on her watch. 9.30. Okay, just half an hour more and she'd head home.

She was focusing on the screen with so much concentration that she didn't hear the knock. But then, she heard her name.

"Mehra!"

She gasped and looked up. She put a hand over her heart as she scowled and said, "Why is your whole family intent on scaring me? What are you doing here?"

Aarush let out a small smile as he raised a hand in greeting and showed the other hand which held a travel cup. She squinted at the cup and realized it was from her new favourite bakery. Unsurprisingly, it was the same one he had introduced her to after the first wedding.

She gestured for the cup, and said, "Ah, give it."

He strode in and set the cup in front of her. He then made himself at home and hopped upon her table and sat next to her. She shook her head but didn't look up from her work.

"Whatcha doing?"

"You're at my workplace, Iyer. What do you think I'm doing?"

She looked up and saw him peer into her screen. She smiled at the innocence of the gesture.

She took a sip of her coffee and savoured it. Ah. No one did coffee quite like them. Trust Aarush to get the exact order too. She was worried that her feelings would begin to stir at this rate. She blinked at her screen and clicked a couple of times. She then gave up and looked up at him. He looked back at her and smiled.

After college, this was the first time she was seeing him in a plain white t-shirt. Then, she could be sure that there would be a drawing by his sister, somewhere on it. And it was always entertaining to figure out what she had drawn. She remembered finding them even on days he didn't notice their existence. Out of habit, her eyes searched the expanse for a little drawing. Not finding anything, she leaned ahead and peered at the back. That's when he let out a chuckle and said, "She's not in the country. All the t-shirts I own now, are very sad, plain and devoid of doodles. But may I say I'm very pleased that you remember this."

She looked up at his face. He did look pleased. Tsk.

She said, "It needs something. It's too plain right now."

He looked around her desk and reached out to grab a black pen. With a flourish, he handed it to her and said, "I'm all yours."

She looked at the pen and then back at him. The younger Maahi probably took over at this point because she actually got up from her seat and took the pen from his hand. The older Maahi would hold back. Like she had been doing for so long.

After a few moments, she leaned in, and zeroed in on the pocket over his heart. Without having to tell him, he sat up straight and looked at her as she placed a hand on his shoulder to straighten the fabric.

She began sketching. She thought he would say something while she drew but he didn't. He didn't even look at what she was drawing. He just sat there on her table, looking at her. From the corner of her eye, she could make out the appearance of a smile.

As she sketched, he reached out and pushed her hair back behind her shoulder. Without looking up, she said, "Don't distract me, Iyer. I'm busy."

He laughed and said, "I'm making it easier for you." With that, he just shifted closer. She looked up and into his eyes. He looked right back. She blinked and hurriedly looked back at her handiwork.

A few moments later, she quietly said, "Done."

Slowly, she moved away from him and leaned on the table next to him. She didn't realize it in the moment but her heart was pounding in her ears.

He looked down at his t-shirt but couldn't see the drawing clearly. So, he looked up and saw a full-length mirror near the main door. The next thing Maahi knew, he had slipped his hand into hers and was pulling her towards the mirror.

When they reached the mirror, he looked at his reflection, his hand still holding hers. Then his eyes darted towards the drawing over his pocket.

It was a heart with cartoon eyes, reaching out of the pocket and peering cutely towards the left. He took a step closer to the mirror and saw that the heart had a smile that reached its eyes. That's when his own smile reached his eyes too.

He then reached out and held her other hand and let the first one go. Without warning, he pulled her over to the other side so she was standing on his left now. She frowned and asked, "What are you up to?"

He smiled and merely looked at the heart.

It was peering towards the left.

Author's Note: This is one of the earliest chapters I wrote and it is one of my favourites. <3