Welcome to the Glade

DISCLAIMER: I don't own anything! All right go to the author, James Dashner

I felt the cold of the box press against my skin. Where was I? " Hello?" I called out scared. Suddenly the box stopped moving, I pushed my hands out in the darkness. The the top of the lid opened up and the darkness dissapeard. I held my hand up to sheild my eyes from the sun. A boy with very weird eyebrows was standing in front of me. He had short hair and wore a brown shirt. I heard a few people laughing and I looked around to see about 40 or 50 boys standing around me and the boy. " I'm Gally, welcome to the Glade, greenie," He said as I stood up. " The what?" I asked confused. "Come on," He ignored my question and climbed out of the box. I didnt know what else to do, so I climbed out too. I looked around at my surroundings. "What is this place?" I asked to no one in particular. Gally had dissapeard somwhere. "Save your questions for later, greenie," Another guy said at my right. "I'm Alby, the leader," He held out his hand for me to shake. "Thomas," I told him shaking his hand. That was when I realized that i couldnt remeber anything but my name.

"Why can't I remember anything?" I asked him. " Are you deaf, greenie?" He asked. "Save your shucking questions for later," Shucking? This place, these people. It was all so weird. I have so many questions, but apparently I have to "save them untill later." "Newt!" Alby called and a boy with blondish brown hair came up to us. I couldnt help but notice that he had a limp. The boy saw me staring and I adverted my eyes away from him. " You must be the new greenie," He held his hand out to me. " I'm Newt, second in-command" He told me in a british accent. " Thomas," I told him shaking his hand. " Show him around the Glade," Alby told Newt, who shook his head and motioned for me to follow him. " Everyone, back to work!" Alby shouted and the group of boys walked away in different directions." Ok so, over there is the homestead. It's where we sleep, but most of us dont fit so we sleep outside," He pointed to another building. " That's the slammer. It's where we keep anyone who breaks the rules," We walked past that. " What about the walls?" I asked him pointing to the four walls around us. " No questions untill the end of the tour," He said said and we walked away from the slammer. " This is the garden, where I work," He said. I wanted badly to ask him questions, but I didn't. I knew he would just tell me to wait.

The rest of the tour went by and I could finally ask him questions. " What are the walls for? Why can't we go out of the Glade?" I would have asked more questions but Newt held his hand up to shush me. " Listen, I dont know why we were sent here. What I do know is that no one, besides the Runners, leaves the Glade. Step one foot outside of these walls, and your as good as dead," He stared at me intensely. "I wan't to be a runner," I told him not scared.He laughed. "Everybody want's to be a runner," he turned to me. " And besides," He said. " You don't choose what you want to be, You get chosen," I looked at him confused. His brown eyes stared back at me. " What do you-" I was cut off by a loud sound. I looked towards the walls to see them moving. " What the.."I trailed off running towards the West wall. Newt followed after me. " They're doors," I said. "Yeah, they close everynight and open every morning," I watched as the doors got closer and closer together before they shut completly. " Come on," He grabbed my arm, which sent a tingling sensation up to my shoulder. "Let's eat."

We walked back towards the middle of the Glade, where everyone was gathered. " That," Newt pointed to a man with a black beard. " Is frypan," He said something else but I didnt quit catch it. Once we got our food we sat down and ate, Newt and I going seperate ways. I noticed that a boy was sitting eating alone by a tree, so I decided to join him. "Hey," I slid down next to him. " Hey," He looked suprised to see me next to him. " Your the new greenie, right?" He asked. " Yup, Thomas," I said. " Chuck," I looked down at my food and started eating it. " So how was your first day?" Chuck asked after a moment of silence. " could have gone worse," I said. He nodded his head agreeing. "I klunked in my pants three times, before they even got me out of the box," he laughed. " klunked?" I asked confused. " It's a word for poop. We call it that becouse it's the sound it makes when it falls in our pee pots," I couldnt believe that we were even having this conversation. " Right," I said awkwardly. Chuck continued to talk non-stop.Will he ever run out of things to talk about? I looked around for Newt and saw him sitting with Alby and an aisian boy. " Hey, who's that with Alby and Newt?" I asked Chuck. " Oh, that's Minoh," He said and began talking again. " What does he do?" I asked him cutting him off mid-sentenced. " He's a runner," Chuck said not bothered that i had cut him off. But it didn't take him long before he started talking again.