Something We Could Never Be

When I woke up in the morning Newt was gone. " You're up. Finally," I heard a high voice say. "Hey, Chuck," I said not really wanting to talk. I had a terrible headache. "I don't even know what hapened last night," I said standing up and stretching. "Well, I left not long after it started, but I saw you drink, like, twelve of Gally's stuff," Chuck said walking beside me to breakfast. " Bad idea, why didnt you stop me?" I asked him grabing some food and sitting down. Chuck shrugged. "Dunno," Though I could see him smirking. " Hey," I heard a familiar voice say before two other people sat down beside us. I looked up to see Newt and Alby. "Hey," Me and Chuck said at the same time. " So, where do I work today?" I ask. Alby looked up at me. " The gardens," he said  gulping his food down. I nodded my head. " Hey, isn't that where you work, Newt?" I asked him. I hadn't even noticed how quite he was untill now. Newt nodded his head but didnt say anyhthing. I looked over at Alby confused but he just shrugged.

Working in the gardens wasn't as bad as working with the slicers, but it was kind of boring. " Hey, Newt," I said looking over at him. "Are you made at me?" He hadnt even said a word to me all day. It made me wonder if something had happened between us last night Newt shook his head. " Of course not, Greenie," he said not looking at me. I sighed and went back to what I was doing. Just before the doors closed, like usual, Minoh and the other runners came in. I stood by the West door with Alby. Minoh came running through. Exhausted, he fell down as soon as his feet hit the grass. " Hey, you ok?" I asked him. He nodded his head. " Yeah, I need water," He said to Alby. "Hey, listen what did you find?" He asked ignoring Minoh's request. " Go and get me some water or I'm not telling you nothin'!" Alby rolled his eyes and walked away muttering something. " What did you find?" I asked him. He was panting heavily. "Wait till Alby get's back," Was all he said. When Alby did get back, Minoh told us all about how he'd found a dead Griever. " Woah,"Alby said. "Well, check it out tommorow," He said, Minoh nodded in agreement. Hearing about the dead Griever only made me want to be a runner even more.

"Newt," I said pulling him away from the other's. " Yeah?" He asked. I hadn't really thought about what I would say. " I, uhm, I was just wondering why you had been ignoring me so much latley," I akwardly looked away from Newt realizing how much of a bad idea this had been. " I'm not ignoring you, greenie," He said and started to walk away. I grabbed his wrist. " Yes, you are."

He pushed my hand off of his. " I'm not ignoring you, greenie." He said. " What do you wan't me to stare at you every second of the day, talk to you non-stop like Chuck?" He asked. I could feel heat rising to my cheeks. I looked down at the grass feeling stupid."Whatever, you've just been acting weird today. I was woried," I said the last part as quietly as possible I turned to walk away. Newt didn't stop me, which was fine with me, I was kind of annoyed with that guy now. I walked off to the dead heads, and laid against a tree. Why did I care so much about what Newt thought of me? I didn't know how I felt, really. Was I depressed? Was I angry or sad? Maybe both. I wrapped my arms around my knees and rested my hands on them.

"Tommy?" I heard a voice say. I didn't need to look to know who it was." Yeah?" I replied. He walked closer and sat down next to me. " Sorry," he said. " I didn't mean to, I don't know, get so angry," He said. " I know," Was all I knew to say. " Tommy," he said softly, turning my head to look at him. I opened my mouth to say something but I felt his lips press to mine. I was shocked.  What  the hell is happening?He pulled away when he realized that I wasn't kissing back. He blushed looking away. " Sorry, I shouldn't have done that," He looked away from me embarassed. " Why not?" I asked him teasingly. "I- because y-you're not like I-I mean," I laughed, gosh he was cute. " Shut up and kiss me, Newt," he looked at me shocked. I leaned in and kissed him. I felt him smile. I pulled away and looked at him. " So, urm," I didn't really know what to say, so I just let him talk. " Does this mean, we're like, together?" He asked. I shrugged. " Not unless you don't want to be."

"Do you wan't to be?" He asked me. I looked over at him. "Duh. I wouldn't have told you to kiss me," I said laughing a bit. "oh," He said abolish spreading across his face. " So we're together," He asked again. "Yeah. I guess," I looked over at him to see he was smiling. "What?" I asked confused. "Nothing," he said still smiling. It was getting darker, and a lot of the glaiders had already fallen asleep, judging by the snores that could be heard. " Come on, It's getting late." Newt said getting up and grabbing my hand. We walked back to the where all the gladiers slept and said good night. I laid down on my blanket and closed my eyes drifting off to sleep.