˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥ 03 - PROPINQUITY

PROPINQUITY

noun - being close to something, proximity

"So, what do you want to do?" Scott asks.

Clyde kicks a rock on the pavement, "I dunno. What about you?"

"I don't know either."

They walk silently along for a minute or so. Clyde tucks his cold hands into his pockets, and looks over at Scott. He meets forest green eyes. They stare at each other, and a small smile creeps onto his lips.

"Something on my face?" Scott asks, grinning back.

Clyde scoffs, "You were looking at me first!"

"Was not."

"Were too."

"Was not."

"Were too."

"No I wasn't!" Scott giggles. Clyde does not think for a second that it's cute.

"Yeth you were."

"Hey, that's not cool." he says, though the laughter seems to contradict that.

Clyde has to hold back from descending into giggles, "Thorry-"

Cackling, Scott pushes his shoulders, and Clyde can only take so much. He erupts into laughter and leans against Scott. They nearly topple over onto the pavement. Luckily Clyde has quick enough reflexes for the two of them, and manages to grab Scott's arm.

"Why don't we go to the arcade or something?" Clyde offers between giggles. Scott nods, his soft hair bouncing on Clyde's chin.

There you go, Clyde. Even if you grow up lonely and broke, at least you came up with a good idea to hang out with your friend.

"This thing's rigged, y'know."

Clyde rolls his eyes, "That's what losers would say."

"I'm not a loser, it really is rigged." Scott points at the claw, "It doesn't have any semblance of grip."

"You've got no themblanth of grip." Clyde presses the button and watches the claw descend upon the mountain of Shrek plushies.

"Stoooooop." both their eyes track the claw digging in. It comes up empty, "Hate to say I told you so."

"Shut up." Clyde pushes another coin into the machine, and positions the claw.

"Dude, you're gonna end up broke."

Clyde nudges the joystick slightly, before pushing the red button. "Nah, it's gonna work this time, I know."

The claw reaches down. It grabs the plushie's green foot, lifts it a few centimetres into the air.

It lets go. Typical.

"Told you so." Scott smirks, "Why don't we go and play Space Invaders now?"

"Fuck Space Invaders. I want the Shrek plushie." Clyde presses his last coin into the slot.

"Fine. Whatever." Scott shrugs and walks off. Clyde turns away from the claw machine, and his elbow nudges the button before it's properly positioned.

"Shit." he whispers, watching Scott head over to where Space Invaders is. Clearly this isn't as good an idea as he thought it would be.

The plushie tumbles into the box at the bottom, and Clyde turns around. What the fuck.

Scott was right earlier, the claw machine is rigged. It only gives you things when you don't even want them anymore.