˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥ 09 - MELLIFLUOUS

MELLIFLUOUS

adj. - pleasing and musical to hear

Clyde wakes up feeling like shit.

His head is pounding, his legs ache and his thoughts are hazy. One stands out though.

Scott.

Fuck, Scott. Even through the throbbing in his head he remembers last night, the yelling and crying.

Clyde scrambles to the coffee table beside the sofa and opens his phone. He's greeted with about a thousand missed calls and texts from Craig, just as many from Jimmy and Tolkien, and even a text from Butters.

Nothing from Scott. They had exchanged numbers yesterday afternoon, finally.

Clyde's fingers fumble for his contacts list and he quickly presses Scott's number. It takes forever, but eventually he picks up.

"Hey Clyde."

Clyde thinks he almost had a heart attack hearing his voice.

"Hey Scott." he whispers, mouth dry. He watches the birds flutter outside the window, playing in the freshly snow-blanketed trees.

Empty silence.

Clyde wants to say something, anything. But he can't bring himself to. Saying nothing is better than the wrong thing, right?

Don't be an idiot, Clyde, "I'm s-"

"I'm really sorry." Scott mutters, voice wavering, "I shouldn't have said that shit."

"Me neither." he glances at the clouds, "Wanna go out to the park in a bit? We can talk better then."

Clyde doesn't need to see Scott to know he's smiling, "Okay. I'll see you soon, yeah?"

"See you." he hangs up the phone, chucking it to the other end of the sofa.

He covers his face with his palms, groaning. Clyde isn't ready for a heart-to-heart with someone who's already got his heart in a chokehold.

Clyde watches his dad flip another pancake. It lands on the edge of the pan, about to slip off. He nudges it back on and puts down the pan.

"I'm doing the next one." he decides.

His dad laughs, "It's not as easy as it looks." he ruffles Clyde's hair. Clyde ducks, batting him off.

He slides the pancake onto a plate and puts it on the counter. Clyde grabs the bowl of batter and pours some into the pan. It nearly bubbles over the edge.

"This is easy." Clyde remarks, rolling his eyes.

"When that side is done, try flipping it. Then you'll see."

Clyde waits, then he does. Well, at least he tries. It just ends up folded over and he nearly burns his finger putting it back properly.

"Fine. Maybe it's a bit hard." he grumbles while running his finger under cold water.

His dad just rolls his eyes and starts cooking another pancake.

Once they've cooked enough, the two sit down at the table to eat. Easy quiet falls over them.

"I'm sorry about last night, dad." Clyde says, poking at his food with his fork.

He smiles, "Don't worry about it, I wasn't asleep. What happened?"

"Me and Scott got into an argument." Clyde takes a bite, sweetness blossoming on his tongue. It leaves a funky aftertaste.

"Oh dear. Are you going to sort it out at school on Monday?"