Chapter 2

I don't look back, still facing the water

I don't look back, still facing the water. Listening to nothing. Waiting for a response that doesn't come. It's so quiet. I hate it. "I want a divor-"

"I heard you the first time." A breath lodges itself into my throat. My heart stutters. He doesn't sound like himself. He sounds nothing like the man I've known all these years. I turn back to look into frosty eyes. He is frozen in place, staring at me like I am irrecognizeable. Maybe to him I am. Just as I am to myself. None of me remembers what it was to be normal.

His hand is suspended in the air as he was once about to reach out to me. He turns away from me to look at Rahul who stands a little farther away. "Get the car. We are done walking." My bodyguard nods and turns farther away from us to wave the car over. The car arrives in a second. Not surprising. It has been tailing us for the whole length of our walk.

"Get in the car Seher. Let's go home."

"I need an answer Reyansh. I want a divorce, and you have to answer me!"

"We will talk at home. Not here. Get in the car." He came forward to take my hand and I jerked it away. His eyes flash. I've done this often but never in my complete senses. His hurt speaks volumes. He keeps his face blank but his eyes talk. The silence around me is gone. For anyone else it still might be there but my ears are ringing with the echoes of every crack I put in his heart.

"I need an answer now."

"Kyu chodhna chahti ho tum mujhe?" Desperation. It's leaking out of his eyes. Ones that are glossy now. In all the years I've known him, I've never seen him cry. He is always so strong, so well put together and here I am. I did this to him. I broke his heart when all he has ever done is heal mine. Inch by inch.

(Why do you want to leave me?)

"Kyu rehna chahte ho tum mere saath?" I don't believe in myself anymore. I wasn't supposed to cry. I wasn't supposed to sob, yet I do it all. His isn't the only heart I am breaking.

(Why do you want to be with me?)

"KYUKI PYAAR KARTA HUN MAI TUMSE!!! Vo kaafi nahi hai?" He needs to stop. Stop putting me before everything and just know that I can't be who he expects me to be. I walk further to hold his shoulders.

(Because I love you! Isn't that enough?)

"My love isn't worth it. Look at yourself Reyansh. And then look at me. You were never supposed to end up with a girl like me. You are perfect. Shiny lifestyle, crystal clear goals, golden achievements. And I? I am nothing. I am just not enough! Stop wasting your life trying to make mine better. My life is already ruined, and before I ruin yours, leave me and live! You can live, not just exist but truly live. Something I can't, and watching you waste your years away, taking care of me just pushes me more to hope. Hope that the next time I try to hurt myself because of my sickness, I actually succeed and just die-"