Chapter 9

🥀

🥀

I enter the house and take my coat off. It doesn't help. The chill outside has nothing on the one in my house. It's so fucking empty. The only warmth it had came from my wife. And with her gone, this house is nothing but frozen.

One month.

One agonizing month of living in this house without her. I called her a few times but she didn't pick up. So I relied on her elder sister to tell me how she is. She seems fine. No major episodes. It's good.

I have been out of the city for a week and the first thing I see when I return is the slightly open balcony window. I live on the seventh floor. I don't think robbers are this dedicated to climb through the window. I go closer and find muddy pawprints.

Ofcourse. She is back.

Where is this annoying piece of shit anyway? I search around the house to find cat food scattered on the kitchen floor with the packet teared open. Such a pain in the ass this cat is, I swear. Three years I've known her and she has pissed me off every single time.

I follow the trail of footprints that end in the middle of the staircase. Great. Now I have to find her on my own. I open my bedroom door and my heart stops. There is the cat. Laying in the middle of the bed but that's not it. She has around seven tiny little baby kittens squeaking and jumping on the bed too.

She probably picked them up and got them here. For the very first time she brought a smile on my face rather than a frown. I walk in further and she meows at me.

"Who the hell knocked you up, you annoying creature? And where is he? Do you know how difficult it is to raise a child, rather seven of them?"

She meows at me again. I lean forward to pet her head. She takes the affection like a champ. "Where is your baby daddy? Go ask him for child support. Kids are expensive." She purrs under my palm and stretches. The doorbell rings and I leave the cat family on their own.

Nobody stands at the door but the bell buzzez again. Someone must be outside. I take the elevator to the ground floor and open the main door to find myself stunned in place.

The snow falls from the sky, turning everything around white. And there, in the middle of it all is the woman I am so desperately and utterly in love with. She came back. "What are you doing Seher? It's freezing. Just come in."

She shakes her head, shivering into her coat, tightening her hold on it. Stubborn woman.

"Bohut himmat karke aayi hun. Ek baar meri baat sun lo."

(It took me alot of courage to come here. Just listen to me once.)

"Mai tumhari saari baat sununga but tum pehle please shade mei aajao."

(I'll listen to everything you have to say. But first please come and stand under the shade.)

She shakes her head again and raises her palm to stop me from going to her. If she is here to ask for divorce, I'll jump head first into the snow and die of hypothermia.