Chapter 5

Present

Present

"You had an interesting meet." My sister hums, sipping her tea. My youngest one is sprawled across the couch in my bedroom, munching on her popcorn like I am dictating her an Oscar winning movie. She nods, still chewing and when she is done, she turns to me. "Where is your fish?"

That's all she cares about? Useless piece of shit. "She's dead Mansi. It's been years." Thank God, my other sister still has brains. "How did she die?" Why is Mansi so interested in a fish? Nevermind. Not going to ask her.

"The cat ate it." Both my sisters turn to each other, then to me and laugh like mad women. "Why are all your pets eating each other?"

I have no idea.

"Wait, you have a cat?"

"Well not exactly. She is a stray. She comes in whenever she wants and we give her food. Sometimes she sleeps in the house when it's snowing or raining outside. Otherwise she eats and trots off to do whatever cats do. Seher really liked her, so I didn't mind what the cat did. Until she ate my fish. But then too, she kept coming in and she was adorable so, we fed her everytime."

"That's sweet. Well, back to your story." Manya, the middle child and honesty alot more grown up than her age, asked. "What happened next?"

"Next? My life became miserable. Because she wasn't a part of it. And I wanted to change that."

3 years ago

I am horrible at flirting. I was too busy geeking out in college to try and ask women out. My life sucks. How  does one even ask someone out? Should I just go to her and be like, 'hey, you're pretty. Would you go out with me?'

That's pretty basic. I should give her hints. But I have been doing that for a while and she doesn't seem to get them.

I 'accidentally' run into her more often than I do to my own secretary. I've made sure to provide her with enough opportunities to come and see me. I wait for the exact time for when she leaves so we can share an elevator ride together. And as eager as I seem everytime to see her, she doesn't even seem bothered.

Maybe, she is not interested? But the answer isn't no until she says it. I walk with purpose. My mind made up. Until I stop a couple feet away from her desk. She is staring up blankly at a man who is leaning against the wall of her cubicle. Rather cockily might I add.

With a weird smirk on his face he leans over the glass wall, pulling his phone out of his pocket. She takes it and types something. With the four hundred megawatt smile on his face, I believe it's her phone number. He thanks her and with a wink he is off.

Good. I thought he would never leave.

She gave him her number? She would go out with him? Is it because he asked? Or because she is actually interested in him? Whoever the hell he is.