5

Javier perused the job offer in his email for the third time, a feeling of relief washing through him as his eyes flew over the words. His ploy worked! He was accepted. So it must have worked. Good, because he didn't have time to think of a backup plan. Now he could make plans to win her over.

His father entered the room just as Javier tossed his phone onto the modern acrylic coffee table. It skidded lightly across the transparent surface before hitting the thin stack of business magazines his father kept as decor and coming to a stop.

"You look pleased," William observed.

Javier grinned. "I got a job offer from Tech-Knowledge."

His father's eyes widened slightly. He snatched the smartphone from the table and skimmed the document. "I'd lost hope that you'd actually pull this off."

This earned him a glare from his son.

"Did you accept the offer?"

"Nope." Javier answered, "Not yet. I'm giving it a couple of hours."

His father merely rolled his eyes, shook his head, and walked out of the room.

*****

"Javier, please come over now. I need to see you!"

"Renee, I told you I can't. I start work at eight today and I have a very important appointment right at the top of the hour."

"With that woman?" He could almost hear her scowling. "I'm sure fifteen minutes won't hurt. Please."

"Renee--"

"Javier." She nearly growled.

Javier sighed. He'd just about had it with her. She was so clingy! And he hated them when they were like that. So, he'd go over there. And he'd break it off.

He had about twenty minutes to do so.

He didn't travel with Phil, instead choosing to hail a cab. He needed to look into getting a car so he could blend in more with the average Joe while still maintaining some level of autonomy.

When he arrived at the hotel Renee was staying at, he quickly thanked the driver and paid him. Then he took the elevator up to her place. He didn't even have to knock. Renee greeted him at the door, clad in only a flimsy T-shirt.

As soon as he stepped inside, she jumped on him, wrapping her legs around his waist and attacking his lips. Annoyed, he pushed her off, straightened his tie, and smoothed his shirt.

"What the hell is your problem?" He asked her. "You're wrinkling my clothes."

She pouted. "I just needed to see you. I've been thinking about this for a while, Javier, so hear me out. I need to tell you--and show you--how I feel. . .and. . .and I hope you feel the same way, too."

"What? Where are you going with this?" He raised an eyebrow, set his briefcase down, and folded his arms.

She took a deep breath. "Javier, baby, I love you. I've wanted to say it for a while. . .I couldn't wait any longer. . .Please tell me you feel the same way about me, too." She played with the hem of the T-shirt and bit her lip, peeking up at him through her eyelashes.

Javier started to laugh but sobered up when he saw she wasn't joking.

"You're serious?"

She nodded.

Javier shook his head slowly and started speaking before she could.

"Do you know why I came over here, Renee?"

She shook her head, her hands now slackly held to her sides.

"I came here," Javier continued, "to break things off with you. This--" he gestured between them, "--isn't working anymore."

"What? You can't be serious! You can't--"

"I'm perfectly serious, Renee. I can't do this with you anymore. You just proved that you want exactly what I'm not ready for. I told you from the inception how things would be. I don't fall in love, Renee."

Her eyes narrowed, but she was shaking. "What are you saying, Javier?"

He threw up his hands. "I don't love you, Renee, okay? There's no future for us."

"Is it because of her?" She asked, her eyes nearly slits on her face.

"Who?" Javier asked, looking at his watch.

"That woman you were talking to the other night!" She snapped.

"What? No!"

"Yes! Don't lie to me! I don't know why the hell I care so much about you when all you truly care for are the ones you can identify with the most! You're all arrogant, deceptive, and misleading. I hate you all. Have her!"

"Stop yelling." He snapped at her. "I did not put a gun to your head and force you to fall in love with me. You knew from the inception where I stand on that subject. And leave Ms. Rosheuvel out of this!"

He made for the door but stopped when Renee threw herself in front of it.

"Javier, please." She pleaded, "Look, I'm sorry I fell in love with you. Just. . .please don't leave me."

He found her statement funny, but keeping his face expressionless, he replied, "We're done. Whatever fling we had is over, Renee. I'm sorry."

He pushed her roughly out of the way and walked out of the door. He made his way quickly downstairs. He'd just reached the lobby when Renee appeared on the steps, yelling tearfully, "Javier! Please!"

She was still clad in the t-shirt and looked inappropriate in the crowded lobby. He kept his head to the front, walking briskly and praying that he'd make it outside before she could embarrass herself further.

No such luck. Renee reached him and threw herself at his feet, holding them tightly as tears streamed down her face. He tried to keep walking but gave up when she allowed herself to be dragged along the dirty tiled floor.

"Renee, get up." He hissed. "People are staring."

Indeed, they were. Some were even laughing, not oblivious to Javier's embarrassment. He glanced at his watch. 8:01. Great.

He looked down. Renee was sniffling and murmuring, "Please, baby. . ."

Luckily, a security officer noticed his plight and came over.

"What's the problem here?" He asked briskly.

"Please," Javier sighed, "Get her off me."

One scuffle and a few scratches later, Renee was dragged away, fighting and screaming his name.

Finally free, he looked at his watch once more. 8:10.

"Crap!" He exclaimed, and shot outside, hailed a cab, and headed off to work.

He'd just finished dealing with one monster, now he had to deal with another.

He grinned.

Author's Note:

Author's Note:

Thanks so much for reading this chapter of ATL. If you enjoyed it, please vote and share! This book is complete; I'm just editing and uploading it chapter by chapter. You can expect multiple regular updates weekly! :)