The Disciple of Varuna

Filial love is something that can bind anyone with shackles . It blinds the judgment ability as emotions take over . Every mother wishes for bright future and wellbeing of her child and hence my mother was no different. She knew very well that my father possessed the ability to grant immortality and hence she pleaded the same for me . My father being the God preserving the moral laws, was unwilling and it was quite evident from his face . It is at this point when I decided to intervene much to disappointment of my mother and relief for my father .

" I want to acquire the elixir of knowledge , the knowledge of all the sciences that you possess , father . Kindly accept me as your disciple and train me to face the world . " was my request that brought happiness to both my parents .

An enchanting smile flashed across my father's face who proudly declared " You my son have given me the joy of fatherhood and it would give me immense pleasure to teach you . I promise you to provide you all that I have the possession of and make you the best ever in existence. "

My mother though wanted me to get the boon of immortality yet was happy witnessing our conversation.

I didn't waste time thereafter as I started education from that very moment. My father was of opinion to begin on an auspicious date . However nothing could have been more auspicious than knowledge itself and hence he was easy to persuade . My education began with learning about the cosmos . The very existence of each and every particle of it was explained in detail by my father . The entire knowledge of universe that was preached from one generation to another was really very intriguing.

My curiosity along with adaptability to learn quickly really helped me as I absorbed the knowledge imparted as dry soil absorbs water . Next came the knowledge of ethics and moral values followed by the knowledge of ancient medicines along with their application using natural , spiritual and celestial forces . Finally it was time for the weaponry training to begin .The weaponry training began with the combat training and was followed by the projectile ones . Neither of us took rest in the meanwhile as the entire course was completed in a year without even us feeling any change .

" I am extremely delighted to say that perhaps you are the best student any teacher can get , my son . Your diligence , curiosity and brilliance is perhaps unmatched in existence. As promised I have imparted you all that I knew of . Now I am handing over to you all the celestial weapons in my possession as the guardian of divine weaponry . You my son , have given me eternal bliss of being a teacher and hence being both your father and teacher I grant you the boon of immortality and proudly proclaim you to be one amongst us Gods . " declared the Lord of the Oceans .

A roar of thunder followed his proclamation as the gates of Heavens opened giving immense pleasure to my mother as her wish got fulfilled. But then arrived the King of Gods who demanded an explanation from my father for his actions . Before the situation could aggravate , I being a son decided to intervene for the sake of my father .

" Greetings to the king of Gods . My father provided me with his ideals and my teacher imparted me knowledge while a God granted me immortality. However being a student am yet to pay my graduation price and hence for having a truce with you with your blessings and the best wishes of my parents I thereby decide to live in this mortal world despite being immortal and one among the Gods . However with your permission I would like to have access to various realms as I wish , being a God myself ."

The king of Gods , Indra Deva was somehow convinced and even appreciated my decision before leaving me with my family alone . My parents were perhaps unsatisfied and thought that we were being discriminated for not being Gods originally . But they were perhaps surprised observing no change in my demeanour which I clarified citing my presence to be perhaps necessary for the earth . However my father wanted to ensure my safety by staying close to me to which I obliged before taking my leave from both of them to begin my new expedition .