The only person I need (fluff)

Song: Ribs - Lorde

A/N: i know i already made one in the barn but I just had this idea because i was listening to ribs by lorde

You had been friends with Carl since kindergarten, he was the only thing you needed, and he was the only person who you talked to, unless you absolutely needed to talk to someone else. You loved him, more than a friend, but you would never tell him that.

You're on the road again after Terminus, holding Carl's hand and leaning your head on his shoulder. You were making your way to a barn Daryl found in the woods to get out of the rain.

"You ok?" Carl asked you. You had killed someone for the first time during Terminus and it was really taking a toll on you. "Yeah." You responded blankly. He squeezed your hand, reassuring you. "Ok, love you." He smiles softly and you nod. "Love you too." It didn't matter what was happening, if one of you said "I love you" the other one has to say it back. No matter what.

When you reach the barn everyone helps each other get settled and when everything was set for the night, you climbed up into the loft. You had your face buried in your knees which you held as close as you could possibly to your chest. You silently cried about everything before Carl came up into the loft. "You doing ok?" You lift your head up and shake it no. Carl comes over and sits next to you, he puts his arm around you and pulls you close. "What's bothering you?" You brush your hair out of your face. "I don't wanna burden you." Carl pulls you closer. "How long have we known each other?" You shrug. "Since kindergarten." He starts to trace up and down your arm with his fingers, leaving a trail of goosebumps. "Exactly. You weren't a burden then, and you definitely aren't one now." A tear falls from your eye. "You're just saying that." He shakes his head. "No I'm not. You keep me going." You couldn't help but smile at that, your cheeks flush pink and you take in a deep breath. "You keep me going too. I don't think I'd be alive if it weren't for you, I mean it." A wide smile stretches across his face. "No, you're a survivor, you've always been one." You sniffle. "Because I have a reason to be." His smile turns softer. "Me too."

You turn your head to look at him, your gaze becoming more serious. "Carl, I heard what you said to Michonne, before Terminus. You said that you were just another monster. Do you really believe that?"

He thinks for a second before responding.     "Y/n, the things I've done, the people I've killed. I can't see myself as anything other than anymore." You shake your head. "No Carl. Monsters don't treat people the way you treat me." A tear falls from his eye and you pull him into a hug. "I love you so much, you could never be a monster in my eyes." You whisper in his ear.

When he pulls away, there's a look on his face. You've seen it a lot recently, but it's unreadable. "Wha-." You were cut off by Carl pressing his lips to yours. You were surprised at first but soon melted into it. He pulled away, his hands placed gently your shoulders. "Sorry." You smiled. "For what?" You placed your hands on his neck and kissed him again. When you pulled away, he was completely red.

You press your forehead to his. "You have no idea how long I've been wanting to do that." He laughs. "Me too."

"Let's get some sleep ok?" You say before getting up and walking over to the pile of blankets. You throw one to the side and use the rest to make a makeshift mattress.

You fall asleep with Carl's arms around you and your head buried in his chest. Sleeping for the first time in what seems like forever.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

You wake up to the barn being dimly lit by a fire. Carl is still asleep next to you. You can hear the adults talking. Glenn suddenly speaks up. "Hey Rick what's up with y/n? She's been with us since Atlanta but she's only ever talked to you, Lori, or Carl. Did something happen with her?" Then Rick responded. "She and Carl have been friends since kindergarten, her dad left when she was 3 and her mom was a drunk so she spent most of her time at our house. She's never really trusted anyone besides us. Lori told me she was at our house when it all happened, she was on the phone with her mom and after that call she's never been the same." You get carefully remove Carl's arm from your waist, and make your way down the latter. "Oh, you're awake. Are ya hungry kiddo?" Rick calls from behind. You nod. "No, and my mom was a meth head. Not a drunk. Im just grabbing my hoodie." You walk over to your bag and grab your navy blue hoodie out of it.

Quickly going back up the latter and finding Carl awake looking at the ceiling. "Oh, sorry did I wake you?" You say as you pull the hoodie over your head. He smiles. "Yeah but it's ok." He holds his arms out to you and you crawl into his arms, laying down on top of him as he wraps his arms around you. Your head was laying on his chest, listening to his heartbeat and feeling his chest rise and fall. Your right hand sitting comfortably on his shoulder. "Carl?"

"Yeah?" He responds in a groggy voice.

"You're the only person I need." You say before falling asleep again.

A/N: ok so it's short I know. I need someone to love me desperately so I can stop taking out all my romantic fantasies on fanfiction lol.

1007 words
<3