XXII. The Southern City

"We have about a half-day's ride left," Noelani tells me. "Let's take a break for lunch."

I nod, following her lead and dismounting my horse. "We should make it to Kosa by sundown then, right?"

She nods and I let out a sigh of relief.

The journey to Kosa has been filled with long, brutal days of riding and long, humid nights of getting eaten alive by bugs. The further south we get, the more bugs have the audacity to feast on us while we sleep. Ugh.

This is certainly a change from Tsulona– there I could get anywhere I needed by the comfort of my truck. I've learned that having a roof over my head at night makes all the difference.

Deities, I can't wait to sleep in a real bed tonight.

"I'm going to send a letter to Cormak," Noelani tells me. I nod lazily, too focused on resting and eating my lunch to pay much attention.

At least we have magic. If we were in Tsulona, Noelani could have called her brother, but here in Armenta we have to use less conventional methods.

Noelani conjures the necessary letter-writing tools. She sits with her back to a tree, her neck curved delicately towards her lap as she puts her words down on paper. A breeze ruffles her hair, so she pauses to tuck it behind her ear. I smile at the sight. Her hair's grown long. It was only chin-length when I met her. Now it easily brushes the tops of her shoulders. I wonder if she'll let it grow or chop it off again. I wouldn't mind seeing it long, but she can definitely pull off either look.

Who am I kidding– she'd still be beautiful with no hair. But then she'd look like one of those northern monks who shave their heads and still worship the Old Ways.

I chuckle to myself. I definitely can't see Noelani doing that.

Suddenly my vision goes black. I furiously rub my eyes, quelling the panic that rises up in my stomach. I open my eyes. Nothing.

I feel cramped suddenly, like I am no longer breathing in the great outdoors. The air feels sticky. I cough a little, finding it hard to breathe the heavy air.

My vision clears and I find that I am no longer staring at the Nirasian princess. I take in my surroundings. It's dark and damp. I can't see much, but it feels like I'm in a small room.

Is this a vision? It doesn't seem like one.

I hear a scuffle across the room. My heart pounding, I take a step back and startle myself when I hear the sound of my boot scrape against the concrete. That's never happened in a vision before.

"Hello?" I whisper. My voice echoes in the tiny room.

"Amietta," a wispy voice calls out.

Fuck this. How does it know my name?

A light appears across from me, flickering pathetically against the darkness of the room. It's a candle, I realize. I step closer, willing my eyes to adjust to my surroundings.

There's a woman kneeling on the dirty floor. Her blonde hair is short, cut just below her ears, and pushed off of her forehead like a tangled mop. I can't tell if her hair is dirty blonde or if it's just filthy.

Her head shoots up, her blue eyes piercing through mine like an icy javelin. She seems to look at me and through me all at once.

"You will obtain the Niraki, Amietta," she warns gravely. "Do not open it. There is a price that no one shall pay."

The room begins to fade. I reach out, trying to find anything to grasp onto.

No. Not yet. I need answers.