XXXVIII. Talk

Nervously, I pace back and forth in my cabin. It's well after midnight and I should be in bed if I'm expected to wake up at the crack of dawn. I won't sleep tonight. I'm too wired. A few hours ago a letter from Evadne arrived at the camp, filled with good news and bad news.

The Liberation camp has been secured with minimal damage. However, Reina has discovered our location, and she knows that we have the Niraki, which means that our time is running out. Noelani and I need to overthrow the queen as soon as possible

Freya has advised us to wait. Realistically, we have weeks until the queen would arrive at the Ranch, if at all. She might choose to bide her time instead, waiting for us to come to her.

I wonder what Noelani thinks about all of this– ultimately what we do is her decision. I feel odd– restless– not being able to talk to her about this. It feels wrong.

I'm torn. We are nowhere near ready to use the Niraki, but it is our best chance. If we just had a few more weeks...

I feel myself grow frustrated. I need to talk to her. There's no way around it.

"Noelani." I reach out, trying to remember the communication spell I casted before. Last time it was completely subconscious, so it takes me a few tries to get it this time.

"Noelani," I try again.

"You're back," she responds dryly.

I can feel how annoyed she is with me. I sigh– It's not like she doesn't have a reason. I bite my lip sheepishly. She's been trying to connect with me for two days, but I didn't want to break Freya's rules.

Yeah, right, a voice pipes up. You're just too afraid to hear what she has to say.

"I'm sorry," I say lamely.

Noelani scoffs.

"I am," I argue. "I'm sorry."

We're both silent for a few minutes. I don't know how, but I can tell that she's still there waiting for me to say something.

I sigh, feeling my anxiety rise– are we really doing this now?

"Noelani–" I start.

There's a sudden knock on the door before I can finish. I scowl at the piece of wood, frustrated with the interruption. Before I can really process what's happening, the knob turns and Noelani is standing in the doorway of my cabin.

I freeze, taking in her disheveled appearance. She's only dressed in a thin nightgown, which is surprising considering how cold it is outside. Her nose is bright red, for Deities sake.

Her eyes meet mine for a brief second– she looks different. I can't explain it, but she's not the same as before.

Noelani's face scrunches up as she takes in the crowded space. There's barely enough room in here for a bed and a table.

"This is much smaller than my cabin," she informs me dryly. "How have you survived the last two weeks in here?"

I chuckle, refraining from mentioning that this is a step up from sleeping on cots out in the Northern cold.

"I think it's cozy," I say instead.

The princess scoffs.

I ignore her snobbishness and grab her hand, pulling her into the cabin and locking out the cold air behind her.

"You're not supposed to be here," I remind her. "How did you find me?"

Noelani smirks, taking the four steps to my bed and making herself comfortable.