XXXX. Storm The Castle

Freya trains Noelani and I for two more weeks. In that span of time I vastly improve my combat skills and Noelani and I learn how to fight together seamlessly. Even without the Niraki, it feels nice knowing we'll be able to better protect each other.

We take our time getting back to the Liberation Camp. Enya travels with us to the Nirasian border and then Noelani, Ettiana and I stop in as many villages as we can to garner support.

It goes amazingly well.

Each village we visit is bursting at the seams with support for our campaign. Our experiences tell us one thing: Nirasus is ready for change.

The news about the return of the missing princess has spread like wildfire across the land. Along with the news of what Noelani is willing to do. She's already confronted Reina once, so it's easy for everyone to believe that she's willing to do it again.

By the time we reach the Liberation Camp, our fate is sealed.

It's time to storm the castle.

Maroon is the color of the flags we march to the castle. In Nirasian culture, it represents change and wisdom. It's also the exact color of Noelani's dress the first time we met– a complete coincidence, but one I tease the future ruler for relentlessly.

We march to the castle– hundreds of us gathered together like a sea of red-wine change. The bold color of our armor and the hum of anticipation ringing through our troops sends a strong message: there won't be any sneaking around this time– it's time to fight.

It all goes to plan. The initial attack takes them off guard. The entire province has been buzzing with rumors, but still Reina never saw it coming– she doesn't pay enough attention to the people of Nirasus.

As soon as we reach our destination, Noelani and I put our plan into action. The Liberation's strongest sorcerers link arms, preparing themselves to cast the most magic they've ever experienced. Casting a joint spell is risky– if just one sorcerer breaks their concentration, the whole ordeal will cost us greatly. But thanks to Freya's training techniques, I'm confident that Liberation will be successful.

I catch Cleo's eye, watching as the young bloodsorcerer prepares himself. He looks different from before the attack. He's still young and innocent at heart, but there's a shadow that seems to cling to him now.

All of them have changed– Silas and Morla too. Even the more hardened sorcerers like Sorgin have a darker look in their eyes these days.

It's time for a rebirth– a period of peace. Deities know that we all deserve it.

Noelani looks at me, giving me a nervous smile. "Are you ready?" she asks.

I reach out, grabbing her hand and pulling her into me. I brush a strand of dark, silky hair away from her cheek, trying to soothe her nerves. "I'm ready for anything with you."

She kisses me hard, but briefly, pulling away with a determined look.

Ettiana pops into our little bubble, giving us a stern nod. "It's time," she informs us.

Outside the castle gates, Noelani and I lead the spell. Our combined magic pulses through the air around us. I feel it spread between us like a rubber band that has suddenly been granted the ability to stretch infinitely. We'll never snap under the pressure.

"Hey!" A Knight calls– we've been discovered.

I don't let it faze me, placing all of my focus on casting our spell. I feel the magic well up, reaching a crescendo. The first time Noelani and I did this back at Freya's Ranch it caught me off guard. Now I'm expecting it.